1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalized equations help

1. Apr 15, 2006 #1
    Hey guys,
    A researcher at my uni has given me a problem which is... rather beyond my poor little first year brain, so i've been doing a whole lot of research and these "normalised" eqations keep popping up, along with people saying they 'won't normalise the eqation' or 'once you've normalised the eqation' etc... (in reference to wave functions if thats relevant). Could someone please enlighten me as to what normalising an eqation involves?

I may post the actual problem here a bit later, once i have more of an idea of what i'm doing!

Thanks in advance :tongue:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

A wavefunction is normalized if the integral of its complex square (over the range of variables) equals 1. Since, in quantum mechanics, the complex square of a wavefunction is interpreted as a probability density, this should make some sense. Read this: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/quantum/qm.html#c5
  4. Apr 16, 2006 #3
    ah wicked! thanks Doc :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?