Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Normalizing a complex vector

1. Mar 6, 2016 #1
    If I have an normalized spin superposition |ψ> = (a1+a2i) |1> + (b1+b2i) |2>, and asked to write it in the form |ψ> = cosθ|1> + esinθ|2>, how do I proceed?
    My main problem is that no matter what I try, I cant seem to get rid of some complex component that shows up in the coefficient of |1>. I can try to get rid of that after taking the common phase factor from both the vecotrs but after I take it out, am I allowed to just ignore it???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the question does not say anything about that, I would factor out the common phase factor to make the coefficient of ##|1\rangle## real. No matter what you try, the two expressions given in the question cannot be equated.

4. Mar 7, 2016 #3

Strilanc

Science Advisor

You're probably allowed to adjust the superposition's global phase (since the global phase is an unobservable artifact of the representation).

Try multiplying by the expression by the conjugate of $| 1 \rangle$'s coefficient, i.e. by $a_1 - a_2 i$. That's how you normally cancel out the phase of a complex coefficient. Then it's just a matter of renormalizing the length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted