1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Normalizing a radial wave function

1. Nov 2, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the radial function R[tex]_{31}[/tex] is normalized.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]\frac{1}{a_{0}^{3/2}}\frac{4}{81\sqrt{6}}\left(6-\frac{r}{a_{0}}\right)\frac{r}{a_{0}}e^{-r/3a_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}R_{31}*R_{31}dr=1[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I plugged that radial function in and got [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}a_{0}^{2}u^{2}\left(6u-u^{2}\right)^{2}e^{-2u/3}du=1[/tex] all multiplied by some constant and [tex]u=\frac{r}{a_{0}}[/tex]

I'm getting [tex]\frac{243}{4}[/tex] times the constant, and that does not equal one. So I feel like I'm not using the right equation for this one.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2009 #2
    Remember what coordinate system you are working in.

4. Nov 2, 2009 #3
    Spherical coordinates. So there's an r^2 thrown in there. Did I not account for everything in my integral?

5. Nov 3, 2009 #4
    Well, it looks like you didn't in your equation with the u's.

6. Nov 3, 2009 #5
    I'm seeing an extra [itex]a_o^2[/itex], since there's an [itex](\frac{1}{a_0^{3/2}})^2 = \frac{1}{a_0^3}[/itex] term, an [itex]r^2 = a_0^2u^2[/itex] term, and a [itex] dr = a_0 du[/itex] term:

[tex]\frac{1}{a_0^3}a_0^2u^2a_0 du = u^2 du[/tex]

I'm curious as to how you're going about integrating

[tex] C\int_0^\infty (u^6 - 12u^5 + 36u^4)e^{-2u/3} du [/tex] ?

Does this have to be done by repeated parts (after you split it up of course), or is there a trick?

7. Nov 4, 2009 #6

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A very useful definite integral that was given to me when I learned about the hydrogen atom is

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}x^n \; e^{-ax}dx=\frac{n!}{a^{n+1}}; \; (a>0;\; n\; integer \:>0)[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook