How can the normalization of a wave function be achieved?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the normalization of a quantum mechanical wavefunction for a particle moving in one dimension. The goal is to find a value for A that will make the integral of the function equal to 1. The attempt at a solution involves using the modulus squared of the wavefunction and taking the complex conjugate, leading to the expression e^-αx^2. After solving the integral, the final answer is A= (2α)^1/4/π^1/4. However, there is a question about the validity of multiplying by |e^(iαtħ/m)| during the calculation.
Numnum

Homework Statement

A quantum mechanical wavefunction for a particle of mass m moving in one dimension where α and A are constants.

Normalize the function - that is find a value of A for which [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|ψ|^2dx=1[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]ψ(x,t)= |Ae^{-α(x^2 + it\hbar/m)}|^2[/tex]

A useful integral: [tex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-z^2}dz = √\pi[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]ψ(x,t)= |Ae^{-α(x^2 + it\hbar/m)}|^2[/tex]

[tex]1= \int^{\infty}_{-\infty}|Ae^{-α(x^2 + it\hbar/m)}|^2 [/tex]

[tex]1= |A|^2\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}(e^{-α(x^2 + it\hbar/m)})(e^{α(x^2 + it\hbar/m)})[/tex]

I'm pretty sure the last line is incorrect. My reasoning was that since i is a complex number, for all complex numbers |z|^2≠|z^2z|. Before this, I tried changing the variable by letting [tex]z=√(2α(x^2 + it\hbar/m))[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Right, the last line is incorrect, since you do the following:

[tex]|z|^2 = z^2[/tex]

This is incorrect for complex numbers.

What you have here is basically something of the form

[tex]|e^{x^2 + it}| = |e^{x^2}| |e^{it}|[/tex]

Can you simplify this further?

First of all, one should clarify what's the wave function. I guess it's the expression without the modulus squared, i.e., a Gaussian wave packet
[tex]\psi(x,t)=A \exp \left [-\alpha \left (x^2+ \mathrm{i} \beta t \right ) \right ].[/tex]
Note that there is something fishy with the dimensions in the original expression. That's why I've introduced another real constant [itex]\beta[/itex]. I also guess [itex]\alpha>0[/itex].

Then just take the modulus squared using micromass's suggestion.

[tex]|e^{-αx^2}||e^{-iαt\hbar/m}|[/tex]

Take the complex conjugate.

[tex]|e^{-αx^2}||e^{-iαt\hbar/m}||e^{iαt\hbar/m}|[/tex]

And I'm left with this.

[tex]e^{-αx^2}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]1= |A|^2\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-αx^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]1= |A|^2√(\pi/α)[/tex]

[tex] A= a^{1/4}/\pi^{1/4}[/tex]

Did I get there?

Numnum said:
[tex]|e^{-αx^2}||e^{-iαt\hbar/m}|[/tex]

Take the complex conjugate.

[tex]|e^{-αx^2}||e^{-iαt\hbar/m}||e^{iαt\hbar/m}|[/tex]

Not sure what you did here? Did you just multiply by

[tex]|e^{i\alpha t \hbar/m}|[/tex]

Why can you do this?

Aside, from this, all the rest (and the final answer) is ok.

And I'm left with this.

[tex]e^{-αx^2}[/tex]

Then,

[tex]1= |A|^2\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}e^{-αx^2}dx[/tex]

[tex]1= |A|^2√(\pi/α)[/tex]

[tex] A= a^{1/4}/\pi^{1/4}[/tex]

Did I get there?

I'm not sure what you're asking. I multiplied by [tex]|e^{i\alpha t \hbar/m}|[/tex] because to normalize a wave function I have to multiply by its complex conjugate and get [tex]e^0[/tex].

For the final answer, did I forget to square the [tex]e^{-αx^2}?[/tex] I just did right now and my final answer is [tex] A= (2a)^{1/4}/\pi^{1/4}[/tex]

I really appreciate your help, by the way.

Numnum said:
I'm not sure what you're asking. I multiplied by [tex]|e^{i\alpha t \hbar/m}|[/tex] because to normalize a wave function I have to multiply by its complex conjugate and get [tex]e^0[/tex].

I know what you did, but I'm asking why you can multiply with some value like that? Doesn't that change the entire integral?

I mean, you have to calculate the integral of

[tex]|e^{\alpha x^2}||e^{-\alpha t \hbar / m}|[/tex]

And instead of that, you calculate

[tex]|e^{\alpha x^2}||e^{-\alpha t \hbar / m}||e^{\alpha t \hbar / m}|[/tex]

How do these two integrals relate?

What is a wave function?

A wave function, also known as a wave equation, is a mathematical description of the quantum state of a physical system. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular location or with a particular amount of energy.

What does it mean to normalize a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function means to scale the function so that the overall probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. This ensures that the function accurately describes the behavior of the particle.

Why is normalizing a wave function important?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the function is physically meaningful and accurately describes the behavior of a particle. A non-normalized wave function can lead to incorrect predictions and interpretations of quantum systems.

How do you normalize a wave function?

To normalize a wave function, you need to calculate the normalization constant, which is the square root of the integral of the square of the wave function. Then, you divide the wave function by this constant to obtain the normalized wave function.

Can any wave function be normalized?

Yes, any wave function can be normalized as long as it satisfies certain conditions, such as being continuous and finite, and approaching zero as the distance from the particle increases. If a wave function does not satisfy these conditions, it cannot be normalized and is not physically meaningful.