Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization

• Thread starter Berzerkfury02
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary: AAA batteries in series creating a 3 volt DC power supply. When the batteries are inserted, the circuit is closed with the exception of the switch. The strobe light is composed of five LED's which have six different ON modes because of different "chase" or flashing patterns. This switch is a normally open switch and the circuit is still open until the normally open push button switch is pushed for the first time. When pressed the completed circuit tells the IC to go to the first pattern. But pressing the button a second time tells the IC to go to the second pattern, etc. until the sixth pattern is reached. Upon reaching the sixth pattern, pushing the button one more time will tell the
Berzerkfury02
Hello,

I have a strobe light which is powered normally by two AAA batteries in series creating a 3 volt DC power supply. When the batteries are inserted, the circuit is closed with the exception of the switch. The strobe light is composed of five LED's which have six different ON modes because of different "chase" or flashing patterns. This switch is a normally open switch and the circuit is still open until the normally open push button switch is pushed for the first time. When pressed the completed circuit tells the IC to go to the first pattern. But pressing the button a second time tells the IC to go to the second pattern, etc. until the sixth pattern is reached. Upon reaching the sixth pattern, pushing the button one more time will tell the IC to go to the OFF position (no more flashing).

I was wondering if three strobes in parallel configuration could all use the same normally open switch in order to close the circuit for all three IC's at the same time.
I am attaching a schematic to simulate both the standard configuration (already works as it is the stock configuration found on the store shelves) and the configuration I wish to use.

I wanted to eliminate the three normally open buttons and use only one normally open push button switch to tell each of the Three IC's in each strobe light the same function at the same time (for synchronization purposes, I wanted the three strobe lights to flash the same pattern at the same exact time). I was thinking that since each switch is performing the same function (indicating to the IC that a circuit has been closed) I could eliminate the three switches and use only one. I was afraid, however, that I may be completing a circuit that was not meant to be completed by connecting the ends of the IC like this and possibly damage something, so I decided to check this with the forum here first before I tried it. Please view the schematic I had attached as it can probably explain what I am trying to do better than this text does. Would the configuration I illustrated work?

Thank You,
Daniel

Attachments

• paralleled strobes.bmp
    58.7 KB · Views: 513
Engineering news on Phys.org
I say go for it. It looks like what you've shown will work. Maybe you could just try two at first.

Regards

It looks to me like your switch is only connected to the middle strobe. The other 2 appear to connected together but it is not clear how the they will be effected by the switch. I would recommend that you connect the switch in the same manner you connected the battery.

Hard to say without knowing more about the strobe.

Well it looks like I may just have to try it,
I'm pretty sure I connected the switch the same way I had the batteries, and it looks like it's worth a try. I forgot to explain that the wires were color coded and wires of the same color are all part of the same wire. I am planning on placing both the switch and the battery in a parallel configuration for each of their own purposes so I think it would work. If it somehow does not work, I guess I will just have to live with three switches rather than just the single one I had hoped for.

As soon as I get all the supplies I need (I still need solder and proper wires), I will let everyone know how it turns out. It may be a matter of weeks until I will be able to complete this project since I will be out on vacation, but I promise to let everyone know how it turns out. I would like to thank everyone for helping me out with these problems.

Daniel

Last edited:

1. What is a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization?

A Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization is a type of switch that is used to control the synchronization of strobe lights. It is designed to keep the circuit open until it is triggered, allowing the strobe light to flash at the desired frequency.

2. How does a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization work?

A Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization works by using a spring-loaded mechanism to keep the circuit open. When the switch is triggered, the spring is compressed, closing the circuit and allowing the strobe light to flash. Once the trigger is released, the spring returns to its original position, opening the circuit again.

3. What are the benefits of using a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization?

One of the main benefits of using a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization is its reliability. Unlike other types of switches, it does not rely on a constant power source to stay closed, making it less prone to malfunctions. It also allows for precise control over the timing and frequency of the strobe light flashes.

4. Can a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization be used for other purposes?

Yes, a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization can be used for other purposes besides strobe light synchronization. It can be used in any application where precise timing and control of a circuit is needed, such as in electronic devices or machinery.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks of using a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization?

One potential drawback of using a Normally Open Switch for Strobe Light Synchronization is that it requires a trigger or external force to close the circuit. This means that it may not be suitable for applications where the circuit needs to remain closed at all times. Additionally, the spring mechanism may wear out over time, requiring replacement.