Possible webpage title: Expressing Dot Product in Terms of Norms

• Thread starter theneedtoknow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dot
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the dot product to prove the parallelogram law for norms in a real vector space. Part (a) involves using the distributive property of the inner product to show that the formula holds, while part (b) involves finding a formula for the dot product in terms of norms. However, this is only possible if the norm satisfies the parallelogram law.
theneedtoknow

Homework Statement

(a) Using the dot product, show that for x, y ∈ Rn, the formula
2||x||^2 + 2||y||^2 = ||x + y||^ 2 + ||x − y||^2 holds.

(b) The norm on Rn can be defined in terms of the dot product by
the formula ||x|| = √(x • x). Show that the reverse is true. That is,
find a formula for x • y involving the norms of vectors (||x||, ||y||,
||x+y||, and ||x−y|| for example), and without using coordinates.

Homework Equations

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/e/9/0/e901236dd90219902035e3479b31a2ee.png

The Attempt at a Solution

for part a, i started with the right side
(i use the word sum to represent the summation from 1 to n of each variable
||x+y||^2 + ||x-y||^2 = (x+y)•(x+y) + (x-y)•(x-y) = sum[(x+y)(x+y)] + sum[(x-y)(x-y)] = sum x^2 +sum (2xy) + sum y^2 + sum x^2 - sum (2xy) + sum y^2 = 2sumx^2 + 2sumy^2 = 2||x||^2 + 2||y||^2 = left side

i'm pretty sure I am doing this part right but it never hurts to double check

now part b i just have no idea where to start with
im supposed to express the dot product x•y in terms of norms ... but x•y= sum from i=1 to n of (xi*yi) = x1y1 + x2y2+...+xnyn
I can't think of anything to factor or do to that last expression in order to get it looking like something I can express in terms of norms
i know that x•y = ||x|| ||y|| cos(theta) where theta is the angle between x and y, but i think i need a way to express it using only norms

Physics news on Phys.org
A is correct but you don't need to use sums. The inner product is distributive so you can say [itex](x+y,x+y)=(x,x)+(y,y)+2(x,y)[/itex]. Saves some time.

I find b a bit vague but you could calculate (x+y,x+y) and (x-y,x-y) and solve for (x,y).

(b) is indeed a bit vague. There are two possible interpretations that come to mind:

(1) Assuming that the norm is induced by a dot product, i.e.,

[tex]||v|| = <v,v>^{1/2}[/tex]

then find an expression for [tex]<x,y>[/tex] in terms of the norm. This isn't too hard but involves a bit of trial and error to find something that works.

(2) Assuming only that you are given a norm, prove that there exists a dot product that induces it, and find a formula for it.

Of note is that (2) is NOT TRUE in general. In fact, it happens to be possible for a given norm IF AND ONLY IF that norm satisfies the parallelogram law, i.e., part (a) of the OP's question.

Somewhat incongruously, (2) is given as an exercise in Axler's "Linear Algebra Done Right." The only proof I've been able to find is at least an order of magnitude harder than the level of the typical exercise in that book. I posted on that very subject this past weekend:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=314503

Perhaps someone knows of a more elementary solution.

Last edited:

What is the dot product and how is it calculated?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product or inner product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and returns a single number. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the vectors and then summing the results.

What is the significance of the dot product in vector operations?

The dot product has several important applications in vector operations. It can be used to calculate the angle between two vectors, determine whether two vectors are perpendicular, and project one vector onto another.

How is the dot product related to norms?

The dot product is related to norms through the concept of orthogonality. The dot product of two vectors is equal to the product of their norms multiplied by the cosine of the angle between them. If the angle between two vectors is 90 degrees, their dot product is equal to 0, indicating orthogonality.

What are the properties of the dot product?

The dot product has several important properties, including commutativity (a・b = b・a), distributivity (a・(b+c) = a・b + a・c), and associativity (a・(b・c) = (a・b)・c). It also follows the rules of scalar multiplication (k(a・b) = (ka)・b = a・(kb), where k is a scalar).

How is the dot product used in real-world applications?

The dot product has many real-world applications, especially in physics and engineering. It is used to calculate work and energy in physics, and in engineering, it is used to determine the torque and moment of a force. It also has applications in computer graphics, machine learning, and signal processing.