Norovirus (Norwalk) and Rotavirus

• Medical
  • Thread starter Astronuc
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the increase in cases of Norovirus and Rotavirus, which are known to cause gastroenteritis. The possible reasons for this increase are discussed, including the spread of more virulent strains and the lack of complete immunity after infection. The conversation also mentions the possibility of exposure through casual contact and inherited predisposition to infection.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
A colleague was recently very ill and the illness was attiributed by the doctor to the Norwalk virus (aka 'stomach flu'). My sister, a pediatrician, informed me that cases of norovirus/rotavirus have increased. I have to wonder with all the flooding in the midwest, Gulf Coast (Katrina and Rita), and southeast US, if the contamination of regions with agriculture waste/runoff and municpal sanitary/sewear systems dramatically increased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norovirus (Caliciviridae)
Norovirus, an RNA virus of the Caliciviridae taxonomic family, causes approximately 90% of epidemic non-bacterial outbreaks of gastroenteritis around the world, and is responsible for 50% of all foodborne outbreaks of gastroenteritis in the US. . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotavirus (Reoviridae)

Biology news on Phys.org
Those virii can spread fairly easily via casual contact as well (hence the difficulty in eradicating them on cruise ships once a passenger or two board already infected). They're the ones people usually call "stomach flu."

Without knowing more about it, I attribute it most likely to a more virulent strain or two evolving and spreading to those who have not been exposed previously. If that's what's going on, the incidence will slow down again as people get exposed and develop immunity.

With respect to immunity, I was surprised to read -
After infection, immunity to norovirus is not complete nor long-lasting.* There is an inherited predisposition to infection and people whose blood type can be detected in their saliva are more often infected.
*Cellular and Humoral Immunity following Snow Mountain Virus Challenge, Lisa Lindesmith, Christine Moe, Jacques LePendu, Jeffrey A. Frelinger, John Treanor, and Ralph S. Baric
http://jvi.asm.org/cgi/content/full/79/5/2900?view=long&pmid=15709009

I wonder if this is peculiar to RNA-based virii.

My colleague, who became ill, may have been exposed on an international airline flight.

1. What is Norovirus (Norwalk) and Rotavirus?

Norovirus and Rotavirus are both highly contagious viruses that cause gastroenteritis, also known as the stomach flu. They affect the digestive system and can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain.

2. How are Norovirus and Rotavirus spread?

Both viruses are spread through the fecal-oral route, meaning they are transmitted when particles of fecal matter from an infected person come into contact with the mouth of another person. This can happen through direct contact, such as shaking hands with an infected person, or through contaminated surfaces or food.

3. What are the symptoms of Norovirus and Rotavirus?

The symptoms of Norovirus and Rotavirus are similar and include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach pain, and fever. These symptoms usually appear within 1-3 days after exposure and can last for 1-3 days.

4. Who is at risk for Norovirus and Rotavirus infections?

Anyone can become infected with Norovirus and Rotavirus, but young children, older adults, and people with weakened immune systems are at higher risk for developing more severe symptoms and complications.

5. How can Norovirus and Rotavirus infections be prevented?

The best way to prevent Norovirus and Rotavirus infections is to practice good hygiene, such as washing your hands regularly with soap and water, especially before and after handling food. It is also important to disinfect surfaces that may be contaminated and to avoid close contact with people who are sick. Vaccines are available for Rotavirus, but there is currently no vaccine for Norovirus.

Back