Searching for the Perfect Norwegian Fantasy/SciFi Book

In summary, the individual is looking for a good book in Norwegian, preferably in Nynorsk, that is a fantasy or SciFi genre and not too difficult to read. They are open to suggestions from anyone, but specifically asking for Norwegian speakers. They mention a few books they have found, including Vindens Navn and Den siste nattkrigeren, but note that Norwegian books can be expensive due to a few publishers dominating the market. They also mention a free legal digital scan of a book called Peer Gynt and recommend a website, bokhylla.no, which has a large collection of books and radio plays. The person also mentions the need for a Norwegian IP to view the website.
BiGyElLoWhAt
Gold Member
I am looking for a good book to brute force my way through in Norwegian. I'm not looking for anything like Peace and War, or whatever, just a nice fantasy/SciFi book to read. One that I was looking at was Vindens Navn, it seemed pretty neat, but the best I could find (amazon) was an audio book download. I suppose it was free, so I can't complain about that.

Something, maybe, a little dark. Something interesting, and also not too terribly difficult. I'm going to read it in front of my computer with Google Oversetter up.

This question is mainly to Norwegian speakers, but anyone with suggestions, I welcome you.
Takk!

Physics news on Phys.org
Also, to add, Nynorske would be preferable, but I'd be almost as happy with a good book in bokmål.

Dang, so if you use google.no, you can find it on Bazarforlag.no, but it's 399 KR ~$45...
Also, preferably ~$20 or equivalent XD

Den siste nattkrigeren, if you can get hold of it.

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
It doesn't seem to want to be bought.

Edit* nevermind, I need to get better about using google.no for stuff like this. 335KR, though.

Yeah, I think most Norwegian books will be expensive due to a few publishers having a stranglehold on most of the business. And few readers per author.

But there is free legal digital scan of the book here http://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/6df08bb0b2cc088e6e400bebca76ace1?index=4#0

I realized you needed a Norwegian IP to view the page though, if that is a problem

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
Proxies haha

The classic Peer Gynt is also really good, if you are of a existential bent.

There is at least 100 000 books and radioplays on the page. bokhylla.no (annoying to make link on tablet)

Likes BiGyElLoWhAt
That's awesome! I'll have to check that out.

1. What makes a Norwegian fantasy/sci-fi book unique compared to other countries?

Norwegian literature often draws inspiration from Norse mythology and folklore, giving it a distinct flavor from other countries. Additionally, many Norwegian authors incorporate elements of nature and the rugged landscape into their stories, creating a strong sense of place.

2. Are there any popular Norwegian fantasy/sci-fi authors?

Yes, there are several well-known Norwegian authors in the fantasy and sci-fi genres, including Jo Nesbø, Lars Saabye Christensen, and Peter F. Hamilton. These authors have gained international recognition for their imaginative and thought-provoking works.

3. How does Norwegian culture influence the themes and plot of fantasy/sci-fi books?

Norwegian values and beliefs, such as a strong connection to nature and a focus on community, often play a role in the themes and plot of fantasy and sci-fi books. These elements can add depth and complexity to the story and characters.

4. Are there any notable Norwegian fantasy/sci-fi book series?

Yes, there are several popular Norwegian fantasy/sci-fi book series, such as the "Legend of the Ice People" by Margit Sandemo and the "Hidden City" series by Tor Åge Bringsværd. These series have captivated readers with their unique worlds and captivating stories.

5. What are some common elements found in Norwegian fantasy/sci-fi books?

Some common elements found in Norwegian fantasy and sci-fi books include strong female characters, themes of nature and the environment, and a focus on societal issues and morality. Additionally, many Norwegian authors incorporate elements of Norse mythology and folklore into their stories.