Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

North America's deep freeze

1. Dec 14, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2004 #2

Gold Member

Tell me, has much evidence been left of the rate at which the climate warmed again after the event? Last I heard, it was hypothesised that the amount of energy required to re establish normal ocean circulation would be huge, and would take a very long time before the north atlantic drift could re establish itself. If it hasn't already, this could provide a good oppertunity to study the re establishment of the gulf stream after such an event. Any link to the research for this would be appreciated.
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2004
  4. Dec 16, 2004 #3
    No, it was the heaviest Clathrate gun event that was ever recorded.

Storegga, Norwegian margin 8150 years BP A estimated 3500 kubic kilometres of Clathrate was converted to 160 time that space in Methane gas. It is reported by Jansen et al. (1987), Evans et al. (1996), Bouriak et al. (2000), Bryn et al. (2003)

And this is the source: table on page 2 (54)
  5. Dec 20, 2004 #4
    Reading that article again. I'm not impressed. There are a few strange things going on.

For instance:

The flooding mechanism is not mentioned in the article but for Lake Agasiz it is assumed failure of ice dams.

There is a huge problem however:

An empty lake flooded the Atlantic?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?