North Korea threatens holy war using nuclear deterrent

• News
  • Thread starter jreelawg
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

North Korea threatens "holy war" using nuclear deterrent

"To counter the enemy's intentional drive to push the situation to the brink of war, our revolutionary forces are making preparations to begin a holy war at any moment necessary based on nuclear deterrent," North Korea's KCNA news agency quoted minister of armed forces Kim Yong-chun telling a rally in Pyongyang."
The threats contradicts claims by analysts who say the North has no way to launch a nuclear device.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/12/24/3101035.htm?section=world

Answers and Replies

drankin

I think it was, "Sacred" war. "Holy" would imply a religious connotation.

I think it was, "Sacred" war. "Holy" would imply a religious connotation.
I don't know, the translation might be difficult. In the dictionary, sacred can imply religious as well, but holy, according to the dictionary, is also used just as an intensifier, which I think was their purpose.

sacred |ˈsākrid|
adjective
connected with God (or the gods) or dedicated to a religious purpose and so deserving veneration : sacred rites | the site at Eleusis is sacred to Demeter. See note at divine .
• religious rather than secular : sacred music.
• (of writing or text) embodying the laws or doctrines of a religion : a sacred Hindu text.
• regarded with great respect and reverence by a particular religion, group, or individual : an animal sacred to Mexican culture.
• sacrosanct : to a police officer nothing is sacred.

holy |ˈhōlē|
adjective ( holier , holiest )
1 dedicated or consecrated to God or a religious purpose; sacred : the Holy Bible | the holy month of Ramadan. See note at divine .
• (of a person) devoted to the service of God : saints and holy men.
• morally and spiritually excellent : I do not lead a holy life.
2 informal used as an intensifier : having a holy good time.
3 dated or humorous used in exclamations of surprise or dismay : holy smoke!
Apple dictionary

berkeman
Mentor

If you want the title of the thread changed, just let us know.

Is it possible the North Korean people don't know their leader is insane? Perhaps they are not aware that he risks their lives as well as his own? Do the North Koreans have access to outside radio and television - I assume their internet access is restricted?

In order to get internet access, they'd need computers and ISPs and electricity with which to run them, WhoWee - they don't even get enough food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommunications_in_North_Korea
:smile: I should have been more specific. I was only referring to the major city. Pyongyang has over 3 million people and is the seat of government. There are educated people in this city. These people have something to lose and (due to their numbers) are capable of change.

russ_watters
Mentor

:smile: I should have been more specific. I was only referring to the major city. Pyongyang has over 3 million people and is the seat of government. There are educated people in this city. These people have something to lose and (due to their numbers) are capable of change.
Pyongyang is home to the party elite. Living there is basically a reward for being loyal. The immediate thing to lose is all that which the party has rewarded them with. So why would they want change?

[edit] Not that the technology you describe is all that widespread:
Current domestic North Korean subscriptions to the Koryolink mobile phone network are around 185,000.
In a city of 3 million (assuming almost all are in the city)?

Perhaps just the contrast between those and the rest who have much, much less is enough to keep them loyal?

Last edited:
seeks3

Pyongyang is home to the party elite. Living there is basically a reward for being loyal. The immediate thing to lose is all that which the party has rewarded them with. So why would they want change?
With the future progression of the third son, do you think that could be enough reason for change?

Last edited by a moderator:

With the future progression of the third son, do you think that could be enough reason for change?
Let's see... Army Captain in January of 2010, promoted to 4-star general before the end of a year, son of a nut, grandson of a nut...

Unless he has an epiphany, I wouldn't put much faith in Kim Jong Un.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110101/ap_on_re_as/as_koreas_clash" [Broken].

Gem of truth: "The North has previously used aggression to force negotiations. Recently, it has said it is willing to return to the talks. Washington and Seoul, however, are insisting that the North make progress on past disarmament commitments before negotiations can resume."

The North are saber rattlers extraordinnaire. Should they push the issue, there'd be nothing left of the regime, lots of folks on both sides would have died, and the North and South would be reunited once again.

Under the rule of the South.

Last edited by a moderator: