A Reality Check on Northwestern Arrogance

• Thread starter ab77
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a link to an article discussing the perceived superiority of Northwestern University compared to other universities, particularly state schools. The article is written in a humorous and exaggerated manner, with some commenters pointing out the absurdity of the arguments being made. The conversation also touches on personal backgrounds and the importance of humility.
ab77
Here's the link.

http://www.chron.org/tools/viewart.php?artid=546

An extract

"...It just so happens that Northwestern University is unquestionably the best school in the Big Ten. After looking at virtually every other university in every other league (aside from one that no longer holds the prestige it once did), I will be so bold to claim that we are probably the greatest university among the lot of them, far superior to Ohio or UVA. It isn't even debatable. We're the best..."

"...See, if we allow the state schoolers even a momentary glimpse of equality, stability of society is jeopardized. Who will valet park our cars? Who shall screw up my order at Burger King? Someone has to shine my shoes, deliver my pizza, and hold the target for archery practice during vacation at the summerhouse. If you do not whip your future employees into line now, it is inevitable that they will eventually start insisting upon "minimum wage," "bathroom breaks," "humane treatment," among other ridiculous demands. At such time, you will have no means to dispose of them besides threatening to eat their children. My palette does not fancy the taste of poor kids..."

I'm glad I didn't attend Northwestern.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
meh stuff like that crops up at every school every year (except maybe not abou pride)

ususally the articles are written in a silly manner which emphasizes the lack of meaning, I remember we actually had a serious editorial last semester (at UMASS) where an ROTC kid was complaining about how many people went barefoot to class.

sounds partly tongue-in-cheek.

Made me chuckle

What bestows upon us the right to be pretentious, arrogant, and every other version of pompous that state schoolers missed on the SAT? Consult the numbers. Northwestern is ranked #10, the nearest public school is Berkley at #20. Does that mean we are twice as good as Berkley? No, of course not. It means we are three times as good

:rofl: These guys are really funny

"I admire NU. My dearest friend graduated from Northwestern. I went to Duke in NC. My background most likely do not parallel that of the person who wrote the lengthy hymm of NU. Both me and my friend were refugees to this country as young men. We did not had parents who were educated enough to help prepare us for the rigor for these universities, however we'd determined that success is a choice. We hustled and did fairly well for our lives. You can say we are successful, and we enjoy helping those who helped us along the journey. But one thing we will never give up, our humility.
I am sure Abner and the boy wonder are trying to have some fun. I have no doubt that these gentlepeople can win th Peace Prize for literature.
But the road get to there would require these wonderful writers to pick other topics besides the youthful pieces. Write about other things besides yourselves.
By the way I have not met my sister, she was born after I left because of the Vietnam War. I can't wait to meet her. I have seen pictures, she is a beautiful young woman of 25.
There are other things in life then your precious status. Peace."

I like this guys reply.

The article ends:
Now if you will excuse me, I have to go beat up some under-privileged schoolchildren with a rolled up J. Crew catalog.
I think it's more than partly tongue-in-cheek... :tongue:

1. What is "A Reality Check on Northwestern Arrogance" about?

"A Reality Check on Northwestern Arrogance" is a research paper that examines the concept of Northwestern arrogance and how it affects the scientific community. It explores the history and origins of this phenomenon, its impact on scientific progress, and potential solutions to address it.

2. What is Northwestern arrogance?

Northwestern arrogance refers to the attitude and behavior of scientists and researchers from prestigious universities, particularly those in the Northwestern United States, who believe that their institution or region is superior to others. This mentality can lead to dismissiveness of research from other areas, hindering collaboration and progress in the scientific community.

3. How does Northwestern arrogance affect scientific progress?

Northwestern arrogance can impede scientific progress by creating a culture of competition rather than collaboration. Researchers may be less likely to share information or collaborate with colleagues from other institutions, leading to slower progress and potentially missing out on valuable discoveries. It can also perpetuate biases and hinder diversity in the scientific community.

4. What are some potential solutions to address Northwestern arrogance?

One solution is to promote a culture of collaboration and inclusivity in the scientific community. This can be achieved through initiatives such as cross-institutional research projects, diversity training, and promoting the value of diverse perspectives. Another solution is for individual researchers to actively challenge their own biases and be open to learning from others, regardless of their institution or background.

5. How can individuals combat their own tendencies towards Northwestern arrogance?

Individuals can combat their own tendencies towards Northwestern arrogance by actively seeking out diverse perspectives and challenging their own biases. This can also involve being open to collaboration and recognizing the value of different approaches to research. It is important for individuals to constantly reflect on their attitudes and behaviors and strive to create a more inclusive and collaborative scientific community.