Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norton AV and grey hair

1. Sep 9, 2005 #1

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I do not understand this program.

When it finishes its scan, it's going to list a bunch of threats, some it will have purged, most it will have failed. And it will give me two choices:
    Skip - do not bother doing anything about these files
    Exclude - do not bother checking these files again

I don't want to EITHER of those! Any option I choose leaves my computer wide open!

So, I do what I do every time. I stare at the buttons for several minutes, paralyzed, then I [X] kill the program, having chosen neither option.

What are they THINKING!!??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Norton is bloated. Try Nod32

4. Sep 10, 2005 #3
    Try booting in safe mode and then scan.

5. Sep 10, 2005 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Good point.That would makje sense and does address my "why it can't delete threats" problem (in fact, it makes one wonder why NAV doesn't suggest running in safe mode), but it doesn't address the extremely confusing interface. Do I want to Skip? or Exclude?

6. Sep 10, 2005 #5
    Are your virus defs up to date (Sept. 8, 2005) ? If not update and rerun NAV. If you don't have a subscription (for the virus defs) and the defs are old I'd take the following paranoid approach: Write down every file name that Norton gives you the option on (skip or exclude). Then go to Symantec and search ( http://www.symantec.com/search/ ) for the various files to see if a virus has been associated with any of them. If so use the by hand solution given by Symantec if not exclude.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?