1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Norton Equivalent Circuit

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the norton equivalent with respect to terminals a and b
    [PLAIN]http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7177/nortonequivalent.jpg [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    KVL, KCL

3. The attempt at a solution
    I set i1 = .008 A
    Then I found the rest of the currents.

KVL@ loop i2:
    2000(i2-i1)+30=0
    i2 = .0065 A

KVL@ loop i3:
    -30+15000i3=0
    i3=.002 A

KCL@ node D
    i3-i4-.010=0
    (.002)-i4-.010=0
    i4= -.008 A

KVL@ loop iab:
    30000(iab-i4)=0
    iab= -.008A

I got the same current for i4 and iab, unless I did my math wrong.
    Can someone check my equations and set up to make sure I'm even finding the right current for the norton equivalent circuit?

EDIT. I redid i4 by doing (i4-i3)=.010 A
    I got i4 = .012 A so I'm not sure which current to o use.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

There's nothing wrong with having iab = i4. The current will choose the path of least resistance, so if you short a and b, all the current flows through the short. Equivalently, you can think of it this way. If you short a and b, the voltage across the 30k-ohm resistor will be 0, so no current flows through it. Applying KCL to E then gives you that iab = i4.

Your initial attempt to find i4 is correct. In the second try, you introduced a sign error. At node D, i3 enters and i4 and 10 mA exit, so you have i3 = i4 + 0.010 A.

I didn't check everything in the rest of the problem, but I'll note that given how you drew the direction of i1, you should have used i1=-0.008 A.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3
    How come I can just assume that the 30k ohm resistor will be 0 when I short a and b. My professor made did this same thing in class with another problem and a lot of things I've been reading do the same.

I'll redo the problem with the -0.008 A as well.

5. Sep 20, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It doesn't make sense when you say the "resistor will be 0." What is that supposed to mean?

6. Sep 20, 2010 #5
    Sorry, I meant to say that the voltage across the resistor will be 0.

7. Sep 20, 2010 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, OK. When you short a and b, the two ends of the resistor are connected to the same node in the circuit, so the voltage across the resistor must be 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook