Finding the Norton Equivalent Circuit in a Short Circuited Circuit

In summary: Norton Equivalent or short circuit current in the attachment diagram. In summary, the question involves finding the Norton resistance by dividing the voltage of open circuit by the current of short circuit. The 2 ohm resistor is short circuited and the next step would be to write nodal analysis. Additionally, the 4 ohm resistor and 33 A current source are also short circuited. There is no potential difference across a and b due to the short circuit, but the potential difference across the 9 ohm resistor is still unknown.
chessmath
Hi
Can you please tell me how to find the Norton Equivalent or I should say the short circuit current in the attachment diagram?

Norton resistance using two different methods but now question asks me to find resistance by dividing voltage of open circuit which I figure it out over current of short circuit.

What I know is 2 ohm resistor is going to be short circuited but I do not what I should do next, how to write nodal analysis for that?
can I say the 4 ohm and current source also are going to be short circuited or not?
Thanks.

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
chessmath said:
Hi
Can you please tell me how to find the Norton Equivalent or I should say the short circuit current in the attachment diagram?

Norton resistance using two different methods but now question asks me to find resistance by dividing voltage of open circuit which I figure it out over current of short circuit.

What I know is 2 ohm resistor is going to be short circuited but I do not what I should do next, how to write nodal analysis for that?
can I say the 4 ohm and current source also are going to be short circuited or not?
Thanks.

There is a short circuit across both the 2 ohm and 4 ohm resistors and the 33 A current source as they all are connected to a and b. That means zero potential difference between a and b. What is the potential difference across the 9 ohm resistor then?

ehild

1. What is a Norton Equivalent circuit?

A Norton Equivalent circuit is a simplified representation of a complex network or circuit that contains an ideal current source in parallel with a resistance. It is used to analyze and predict the behavior of a circuit without having to consider all of its individual components.

2. How is a Norton Equivalent circuit different from a Thevenin Equivalent circuit?

While both Norton and Thevenin Equivalent circuits are simplified representations of a complex circuit, the main difference is that a Norton Equivalent uses an ideal current source in parallel with a resistance, whereas a Thevenin Equivalent uses an ideal voltage source in series with a resistance.

3. How do you find the Norton Equivalent circuit of a given circuit?

To find the Norton Equivalent circuit, one must first remove all of the load components from the original circuit. Then, find the total resistance of the remaining circuit and use Ohm's law to calculate the Norton current. The Norton resistance is equal to the total resistance of the circuit. Finally, the Norton Equivalent circuit is constructed by placing an ideal current source in parallel with the calculated Norton resistance.

4. What is the purpose of using a Norton Equivalent circuit?

The main purpose of using a Norton Equivalent circuit is to simplify the analysis of a complex circuit. It allows for a more efficient and accurate prediction of circuit behavior without having to consider all of the individual components. It is also useful for designing and troubleshooting circuits before physically constructing them.

5. Can a Norton Equivalent circuit be used to replace a complex circuit?

Yes, a Norton Equivalent circuit can be used to replace a complex circuit in many cases. However, it is important to note that the Norton Equivalent circuit will only accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit at the load terminals. It may not accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit at other points or under different conditions.