Configuring a Firewall to Block Ping Requests: Tips for Network Security

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary: For example, if you disable norton on one computer, zone alarm might start blocking important things like your internet connection.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anyone an idea how to configure a firewall so that the system won't reply to a ping (ICMP echo) request?

Computer science news on Phys.org
no, I was just doing a system check :) that second link you gave describes how to ALLOW ping requests, should it be safe to configure it to block ALL incoming ICMP?

I know it was to allow ping requests, but I assumed you could work backwards and disable ping requests through basically the same method.

You can't disable ICMP since you need it to connect to the internet. What you can disable is ICMP echo. I'm pretty sure Norton does it be default. If it doesn't try ZoneAlarm:

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/catalog/products/sku_list_za.jsp

I know it was to allow ping requests, but I assumed you could work backwards and disable ping requests through basically the same method.
Ok, thanks. Actually '8 echo-req' was not enabled, but it is still responding to ping requests. I ran the symantec security scanner which identified the problem, it's strange since nowhere in their documentation does Norton mention how to disable it.

Monique are you at work? I ran my own scan on your ip and your running a webserver, ms-sql and mysql. :eek:

I am running what? :confused:

and no, I'm not usually at work at this time of day :tongue2:

Some more information about the webserver:

A-link Hasbani webadmin (Runs WindWeb 2.0 embedded httpd; Often a DSL router)

I can even go into my browser, type your ip address and go to a webpage. Its an error page, but a webpage none the less.

You should really check it out. That definitely is a security risk.

[edit]Also, the fact that I can actually tell your running mysql is a security risk. I have mysql running, but is hidden by my firewall.

Last edited:
dduardo said:
hey David, when I install that firewall.. do I only need to put it on one computer if several computers are sharing the same modem?

When I installed it on one computer, and turned that computer off, the other computer does seem to have a firewall protecting it.

When I installed it on two computers, it seemed to be having problems where sites get disconnected at random intervals (even though the other computer is off) :confused: (when I shut down one of the firewalls things work fine again) :confused:

If your computers are connected to a router then you need to install the firewall on each computer. If your computers are connected to one computer and that computer is connected to the modem then you only need one firewall.

Note: You should only have one firewall software per computer. If you have norton and zone alarm on one computer funny things might happen.

1. What is Norton Firewall?

Norton Firewall is a security software created by Norton that helps protect your computer from unauthorized access by monitoring incoming and outgoing internet traffic.

2. How does Norton Firewall work?

Norton Firewall uses a set of rules to filter incoming and outgoing network traffic. It analyzes the data packets and allows or blocks them based on these rules to prevent potential threats from accessing your system.

3. Does Norton Firewall affect my internet speed?

Yes, Norton Firewall can have a slight impact on your internet speed as it filters and monitors all incoming and outgoing network traffic. However, the impact is usually minimal and should not significantly affect your internet browsing experience.

4. What is a ping reply and why is it important for Norton Firewall?

A ping reply is a response from a network device when it receives a ping request. It is important for Norton Firewall because it helps determine if the connection between two devices is working properly. If there is no ping reply, it could be an indication of a potential issue or a blocked connection by the firewall.

5. Can I customize the settings of Norton Firewall?

Yes, you can customize the settings of Norton Firewall to fit your specific needs. You can create your own rules, allow or block specific programs or ports, and adjust the level of protection according to your preferences.