What is the size of Norway's sovereign wealth fund?

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, Norway has the biggest fund! They have 554 billion dollars to spend and they are eager to use their natural gas reserves.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Norway has the biggest fund!

The Norwegian Oil Fund has just passed the Abu Dhabi Investment Agency in being the largest single fund on this planet.

We now have some 554 billion USD to spend over here! :approve:

Physics news on Phys.org

arildno said:

May I borrow $10 for a new bag of cat food? Lucy will pay you back with enough hair to knit sweaters for your entire family.

arildno said:
The Norwegian Oil Fund has just passed the Abu Dhabi Investment Agency in being the largest single fund on this planet.

With Norwegian prices it won't last long :tongue:

Danger said:
May I borrow $10 for a new bag of cat food? Lucy will pay you back with enough hair to knit sweaters for your entire family.

I'm sorry, it's a matter of principle:
We cannot afford frivolous, extravagant spending on non-humans lacking Norwegian citizenship.

arildno said:
I'm sorry, it's a matter of principle:
We cannot afford frivolous, extravagant spending on non-humans lacking Norwegian citizenship.
Check her birth certificate before responding so glibly. "Lucifer T. Cat" was born in Oslo in 1998. She is now a Canadian citizen because I legally adopted her.
(And as much as I hate to say it, she's much more intelligent than a lot of humans that I know.)

Danger said:
Check her birth certificate before responding so glibly. "Lucifer T. Cat" was born in Oslo in 1998. She is now a Canadian citizen because I legally adopted her.
(And as much as I hate to say it, she's much more intelligent than a lot of humans that I know.)

Apply for benefits on your own&Lucy's risk.

We have a whale-fear state, and cats aren't too safe here, either..

arildno said:
We have a whale-fear state, and cats aren't too safe here, either..

Lucy was adopted into the half-Scottish household of me. Despite being fluffy and pure white, she knows exactly how to not look like a sheep. Also, I do not clip her claws, which can shred titanium. Her safety is not an issue.

Danger said:
Lucy was adopted into the half-Scottish household of me. Despite being fluffy and pure white, she knows exactly how to not look like a sheep. Also, I do not clip her claws, which can shred titanium. Her safety is not an issue.

She hasn't met lemmings, yet..

arildno said:

So I'm guessing that Norwegians aren't generally big on alternative energy options; or big fans of AGCC [global warming] inspired regulations?

Ivan Seeking said:
So I'm guessing that Norwegians aren't generally big on alternative energy options;
Oh, sure!
Most of Norway itself goes on clean waterfall-derived energy.

or big fans of AGCC [global warming] inspired regulations?
Quite the contrary!
We are eager to tap into our natural gas reservoirs that are an order or so bigger than our oil reservoirs.

And, natural gas is SO much cleaner than oil, everyone should try it! :devil:

arildno said:
And, natural gas is SO much cleaner than oil, everyone should try it! :devil:

You wouldn't say that if you ever had to share a cab with me.

arildno said:
She hasn't met lemmings, yet..

There are some bones in her litter box that would argue to the contrary.

arildno said:
Most of Norway itself goes on clean waterfall-derived energy.

Yep. My rule of thumb during last year's trip was if I couldn't see a waterfall, that meant we were back in Sweden.

Borek said:
Yep. My rule of thumb during last year's trip was if I couldn't see a waterfall, that meant we were back in Sweden.

:rofl: :eek:
I know what it says on your birth certificate, but you must be an honourary Norweed. You folk and Brits have subtle humour nailed to the wall.

Last edited:

Danger said:
:rofl: :eek:
I know what it says on your birth certificate, but you must be an honourary Norweed.
Poles are the only ones who, as yet, have gotten away with stealing a stave church from us..

It wasn't stolen :tongue2:

Borek said:
It wasn't stolen :tongue2:

:confused: :confused:

What... you just ate it and forgot to pay on the way out?

:confused:

Ahhhh...
Thanks, Borek.

1. What is the biggest fund in Norway?

The biggest fund in Norway is the Government Pension Fund Global, also known as the Norwegian oil fund. It is a sovereign wealth fund that was established in 1990 to invest the surplus revenues from Norway's petroleum sector. As of 2021, it is valued at over $1 trillion USD.

2. How did Norway's fund become the biggest in the world?

Norway's fund became the biggest in the world due to the country's large oil reserves and its decision to invest a portion of its oil revenue into the fund. The fund's investments have also performed well, contributing to its growth and size.

3. What types of investments does Norway's fund make?

Norway's fund invests in a variety of assets, including stocks, bonds, real estate, and infrastructure projects. It has a global investment strategy, with a focus on diversity and long-term growth.

4. How is Norway's fund managed?

The Government Pension Fund Global is managed by Norges Bank Investment Management, on behalf of the Norwegian Ministry of Finance. The fund follows ethical and responsible investment principles and has a strict investment mandate set by the government.

5. What impact does Norway's fund have on the country's economy?

Norway's fund has a significant impact on the country's economy, as it is a major source of income and helps to stabilize the economy during times of fluctuating oil prices. The fund also contributes to the country's overall wealth and financial security.