Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NOT a rice-rocket!

1. May 20, 2006 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Since a few people have expressed curiosity when I mentioned a couple of things about my El Camino,
    I figured that I might as well get the details out of the way all in one shot.
    Here she be:

Volkswagon's-eye view :bugeye:

[​IMG]

side view showing built-in step so my 4'6" mother can get in (with help) :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

the only warning to would-be pests :uhh:

[​IMG]

proof of the above warning :biggrin:

[​IMG]

It's a '76 El Camino frame-stacked on a '74 Jimmy chassis. The motor, as you can see, is a '76 Olds 455. A custom bell-housing mates it to a Chevy 350 Turbo tranny with manual valve body for driver-controlled shifting. A second custom plate attaches the GMC transfer case to the tranny. The transfer case has a differential built into it, so I don't have a 2-wheel-drive option; the shift lever either sends 70% to the back and 30% to the front, or splits it 50/50. The tires are 33" Trailblazers, and it'll chirp them going into 2nd gear in low-range. :biggrin:
    As you can see, it needs a bit of body work.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks bloody cool old chap, I'd love to see it in the flesh!

I think I'm gonna base my 10 year plan around moving to the US with work so that I can buy something with a monstrous V8 and not feel guilty! A work colleague moved over there in January, and has now got a Mustang for his runabout, and an AC Cobra for a project, mwhaha!

4. May 20, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Ooooooooo.... me want. :biggrin:

5. May 20, 2006 #4

Mk

6. May 21, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, Mk;
    I did actually resize all but one. The reason that I left it full sized is that the sticker didn't show up when I tried to shrink it. Yours looks good, though. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?