1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NOT a rice-rocket!

1. May 20, 2006 #1

Danger

Gold Member

Since a few people have expressed curiosity when I mentioned a couple of things about my El Camino,
    I figured that I might as well get the details out of the way all in one shot.
    Here she be:

Volkswagon's-eye view :bugeye:

[​IMG]

side view showing built-in step so my 4'6" mother can get in (with help) :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

the only warning to would-be pests :uhh:

[​IMG]

proof of the above warning :biggrin:

[​IMG]

It's a '76 El Camino frame-stacked on a '74 Jimmy chassis. The motor, as you can see, is a '76 Olds 455. A custom bell-housing mates it to a Chevy 350 Turbo tranny with manual valve body for driver-controlled shifting. A second custom plate attaches the GMC transfer case to the tranny. The transfer case has a differential built into it, so I don't have a 2-wheel-drive option; the shift lever either sends 70% to the back and 30% to the front, or splits it 50/50. The tires are 33" Trailblazers, and it'll chirp them going into 2nd gear in low-range. :biggrin:
    As you can see, it needs a bit of body work.

Last edited: May 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2006 #2

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That looks bloody cool old chap, I'd love to see it in the flesh!

I think I'm gonna base my 10 year plan around moving to the US with work so that I can buy something with a monstrous V8 and not feel guilty! A work colleague moved over there in January, and has now got a Mustang for his runabout, and an AC Cobra for a project, mwhaha!

4. May 20, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

Ooooooooo.... me want. :biggrin:

5. May 20, 2006 #4

Mk

6. May 21, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

Hey, Mk;
    I did actually resize all but one. The reason that I left it full sized is that the sticker didn't show up when I tried to shrink it. Yours looks good, though. Thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?