Deciding Between Architectural & Telecommunication Eng: Help Needed

• Thread starter confused_student
  • Start date
In summary: Thank you! x)Thank you so much for the tip! I'm confident about Architecture now x)In summary, a person who cannot draw well can still go into Architecture if they learn how to draw.
confused_student
Hi everyone!
I just graduated from high school. It's time for me to decide which career I'd like to jump into. My subjects in high school were related to engineering (Math, Physics and Chem). I'm stuck between Architectural Engineering and Telecommunication Engineering.
I want to know if a person who cannot draw well can go into Architecture. I love Architecture but my fear of not being able to draw is causing me to have second thoughts about it. Telecommunication Eng. is my plan B.
Please help me out, I'd really appreciate it. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I mean, being able to sketch is probably only to your benefit with architectural engineering. Most of that stuff (I could only assume) will be done via computer, inputting squares, circles, triangles, etc. to get the final result. Whether or not you can draw a realistic dog with pencil and paper, I would think, should be nigh irrelevant.

Likes confused_student and ProfuselyQuarky
confused_student said:
I love Architecture but my fear of not being able to draw is causing me to have second thoughts about it.

If you are going to let a little thing like that stop you, you don't have what it takes. Seriously. Learn to draw. Take a class if that's what works for you. Get https://www.amazon.com/dp/1585429201/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Best $12 you'll ever spend. Then practice. Seriously, if you can't put in that level of effort, the what exactly do you think you're going to get good at?

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes confused_student
confused_student said:
Hi everyone!
I just graduated from high school. It's time for me to decide which career I'd like to jump into. My subjects in high school were related to engineering (Math, Physics and Chem). I'm stuck between Architectural Engineering and Telecommunication Engineering.
I want to know if a person who cannot draw well can go into Architecture. I love Architecture but my fear of not being able to draw is causing me to have second thoughts about it. Telecommunication Eng. is my plan B.
Please help me out, I'd really appreciate it. :)
What exactly does "drawing" mean for purposes of "Architecture"? Does the architect use tools other than just pencil (or pen) and paper? Does an architect need to be able to draw seascapes or portraits of people? Does he use any draw-assistance tools like protractor or straight-edge or ruler?

Likes confused_student
As the others have noted, drawing is a skill that can be learned, just like any other skill. They will teach you how to draw in architectural school. Good luck!

Likes confused_student
IGU said:
If you are going to let a little thing like that stop you, you don't have what it takes. Seriously. Learn to draw. Take a class if that's what works for you. Get https://www.amazon.com/dp/1585429201/?tag=pfamazon01-20. Best $12 you'll ever spend. Then practice. Seriously, if you can't put in that level of effort, the what exactly do you think you're going to get good at?

Thank you so much for the tip! I'm confident about Architecture now x)

Last edited by a moderator:
leright said:
As the others have noted, drawing is a skill that can be learned, just like any other skill. They will teach you how to draw in architectural school. Good luck!

Thank you! x)

confused_student said:
Thank you so much for the tip! I'm confident about Architecture now x)
That's good. But for the benefit of other readers here, what exactly did you do to gain that confidence?

Best of luck in your studies!

1. What is the difference between architectural and telecommunication engineering?

The main difference between architectural and telecommunication engineering is their focus. Architectural engineering deals with the design, construction, and maintenance of buildings and other structures, while telecommunication engineering deals with the design and development of communication systems, such as telephone and internet networks.

2. Which field has better job prospects?

Both architectural and telecommunication engineering have good job prospects, but it ultimately depends on the current demand in the job market. Both fields are important and in-demand industries, so it is best to choose the field that aligns with your interests and skills.

3. Can I study both architectural and telecommunication engineering?

It is possible to study both fields, but it may require more time and effort as they have different curriculum and requirements. It is recommended to choose one as a major and the other as a minor, or to pursue a double major program if available.

4. Which field offers higher salary?

The salary for both architectural and telecommunication engineering can vary depending on factors such as job position, experience, and location. Generally, telecommunication engineers tend to have a higher starting salary, but architectural engineers can also have potential for high salaries with experience and specialization.

5. What skills are needed for a career in architectural or telecommunication engineering?

For a career in architectural engineering, skills in mathematics, physics, and design are important. In telecommunication engineering, skills in computer science, programming, and problem-solving are necessary. Both fields also require strong communication and teamwork skills.