1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not able to decide...

1. Apr 4, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone!
    I just graduated from high school. It's time for me to decide which career I'd like to jump into. My subjects in high school were related to engineering (Math, Physics and Chem). I'm stuck between Architectural Engineering and Telecommunication Engineering.
    I want to know if a person who cannot draw well can go into Architecture. I love Architecture but my fear of not being able to draw is causing me to have second thoughts about it. Telecommunication Eng. is my plan B.
    Please help me out, I'd really appreciate it. :)

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2016 #2

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I mean, being able to sketch is probably only to your benefit with architectural engineering. Most of that stuff (I could only assume) will be done via computer, inputting squares, circles, triangles, etc. to get the final result. Whether or not you can draw a realistic dog with pencil and paper, I would think, should be nigh irrelevant.

4. Apr 5, 2016 #3

IGU

If you are going to let a little thing like that stop you, you don't have what it takes. Seriously. Learn to draw. Take a class if that's what works for you. Get https://www.amazon.com/Drawing-Right-Side-Brain-Definitive/dp/1585429201. Best $12 you'll ever spend. Then practice. Seriously, if you can't put in that level of effort, the what exactly do you think you're going to get good at?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Apr 6, 2016 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

What exactly does "drawing" mean for purposes of "Architecture"? Does the architect use tools other than just pencil (or pen) and paper? Does an architect need to be able to draw seascapes or portraits of people? Does he use any draw-assistance tools like protractor or straight-edge or ruler?

6. Apr 6, 2016 #5
    As the others have noted, drawing is a skill that can be learned, just like any other skill. They will teach you how to draw in architectural school. Good luck!

7. Jun 28, 2016 #6
    Thank you so much for the tip! I'm confident about Architecture now x)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  8. Jun 28, 2016 #7
    Thank you! x)

9. Jun 28, 2016 #8

IGU

That's good. But for the benefit of other readers here, what exactly did you do to gain that confidence?

Best of luck in your studies!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted