Not awesome please.

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Main Question or Discussion Point

Most forums have automatic blocks for obscene or unnacceptable words.

I don't know if it is recent American usage or what, but if it is not too late could a block be put put on the word 'awesome', :yuck: so we can keep the word for use, very occasionally, for what it really means, rather than for just anything that is any better than a poke in the eye? And if not, could people voluntarily refrain please?

Answers and Replies

Danger
Gold Member
so we can keep the word for use, very occasionally, for what it really means, rather than for just anything that is any better than a poke in the eye? And if not, could people voluntarily refrain please?
As a writer, I agree; as a member of PF, I don't. The best feature of this site is universally aiding in scientific (and, in GD, interpersonal) education. I've found, through my personal experience in real life, that you should use the jargon of the person that you're educating to facilitate understanding. Saying that something is 'extremely impressive' to a teenager just doesn't have the same impact as saying that it's 'awesome'.
Besides, it's an awesome word... :uhh:

D H
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Awesome idea!

Doc Al
Mentor
Totally!

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Totally awesome! :approve:

Danger
Gold Member
Like, *****in', dude.

edit: Hmmm... that lost a bit in the translation. There seems to be a 'b', an 'i', a 't', a 'c', and an 'h' missing from my post...

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Most forums have automatic blocks for obscene or unnacceptable words.

I don't know if it is recent American usage or what, but if it is not too late could a block be put put on the word 'awesome', :yuck: so we can keep the word for use, very occasionally, for what it really means, rather than for just anything that is any better than a poke in the eye? And if not, could people voluntarily refrain please?
I agree, the word is overused and annoting -- I first started hearing it from my conservative Christian friends, calling God "an awesome God!" At least, they use it correctly in context.

Everyone has little words which they find grating. If you ever correspond with Cyrus, be sure to use the word "like," like, every other word. He like loves that word; he thinks it's, like, awesome.

The worst part is when you refer to something truly "awesome" and it happens to be something bad, you get weird looks or insulted for it.

Evo
Mentor
Truly awesome.

Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Everyone has little words which they find grating. If you ever correspond with Cyrus, be sure to use the word "like," like, every other word. He like loves that word; he thinks it's, like, awesome.
I'm like sooo taking Cyrus to the Valley next time he comes to SoCal. OMG, would be so tubular! Like, perpendicular!

russ_watters
Mentor
Sweet.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yikes, it is the attack of the valley people!!!

epenguin, don't let them bother you. It has been smoggy in the valley lately and them valley critters get mean on smoggy days. :biggrin:

~christina~
Gold Member
Hm...I was looking up the word awesome and I typed in "awsome"...:smile: :rolleyes:

Kurdt
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Its nice to feel the love and support from PF members :smile:

epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
:grumpy: I am underawed by your reactions. :smile:

Danger
Gold Member
:rofl:

Lisa!
Gold Member
I also think that awesome sounds awful and has nothing to do with awesomeness! But I think if we start blocking words that members don't like, ...:eek:

PS have you decreased the time limit for editting posts?

Last edited:
:grumpy: I am underawed by your reactions. :smile:
Nonono, that's reserved for underwhelmed, the antonyms of awesome are: joynone or blissany.

Last edited:
Evo
Mentor
PS have you decreased the time limit for editting posts?
Yes, editing time limit is now 30 minutes.

Sweetness :biggrin:

Danger
Gold Member
I first started hearing it from my conservative Christian friends, calling God "an awesome God!"
Isn't that supposed to be 'omnipotent', which trumps 'awesome'? No wonder Christianity is doomed to failure: they can't keep their stories straight. :rolleyes:

wolram
Gold Member
Awesome is like a cool word like almost bodacious, awesome thread.

Danger
Gold Member
Awesome is like a cool word like almost bodacious
Reminds me of one of my favourite movies: "Bodacious Ta-Ta's". :biggrin:

Thanks! Before this thread I never knew the formal definition of 'awesome.' Searching my posts, I have used it incorrectly on PF almost 100 times :redface: