Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
In summary, people on forums usually have automatic blocks for obscene or unacceptable words. Most members don't agree with this policy, and think that the word 'awesome' should be used more sparingly for what it really means. There is also disagreement over whether or not people should voluntarily refrain from using certain words.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Most forums have automatic blocks for obscene or unnacceptable words.

I don't know if it is recent American usage or what, but if it is not too late could a block be put put on the word 'awesome', :yuck: so we can keep the word for use, very occasionally, for what it really means, rather than for just anything that is any better than a poke in the eye? And if not, could people voluntarily refrain please?

Physics news on Phys.org
epenguin said:
so we can keep the word for use, very occasionally, for what it really means, rather than for just anything that is any better than a poke in the eye? And if not, could people voluntarily refrain please?

As a writer, I agree; as a member of PF, I don't. The best feature of this site is universally aiding in scientific (and, in GD, interpersonal) education. I've found, through my personal experience in real life, that you should use the jargon of the person that you're educating to facilitate understanding. Saying that something is 'extremely impressive' to a teenager just doesn't have the same impact as saying that it's 'awesome'.
Besides, it's an awesome word... :uhh:

Awesome idea!

Totally!

Totally awesome! :approve:

Like, *****in', dude.

edit: Hmmm... that lost a bit in the translation. There seems to be a 'b', an 'i', a 't', a 'c', and an 'h' missing from my post...

epenguin said:

I don't know if it is recent American usage or what, but if it is not too late could a block be put put on the word 'awesome', :yuck: so we can keep the word for use, very occasionally, for what it really means, rather than for just anything that is any better than a poke in the eye? And if not, could people voluntarily refrain please?

I agree, the word is overused and annoting -- I first started hearing it from my conservative Christian friends, calling God "an awesome God!" At least, they use it correctly in context.

Everyone has little words which they find grating. If you ever correspond with Cyrus, be sure to use the word "like," like, every other word. He like loves that word; he thinks it's, like, awesome.

The worst part is when you refer to something truly "awesome" and it happens to be something bad, you get weird looks or insulted for it.

Truly awesome.

lisab said:
Everyone has little words which they find grating. If you ever correspond with Cyrus, be sure to use the word "like," like, every other word. He like loves that word; he thinks it's, like, awesome.

I'm like sooo taking Cyrus to the Valley next time he comes to SoCal. OMG, would be so tubular! Like, perpendicular!

Sweet.

Yikes, it is the attack of the valley people!

epenguin, don't let them bother you. It has been smoggy in the valley lately and them valley critters get mean on smoggy days. :biggrin:

russ_watters said:
Sweet.

russ took mine.

Hm...I was looking up the word awesome and I typed in "awsome"...:smile: :rolleyes:

Its nice to feel the love and support from PF members :smile:

:grumpy: I am underawed by your reactions. :smile:

:rofl:

I also think that awesome sounds awful and has nothing to do with awesomeness! But I think if we start blocking words that members don't like, ...:eek:

PS have you decreased the time limit for editting posts?

Last edited:
epenguin said:
:grumpy: I am underawed by your reactions. :smile:

Nonono, that's reserved for underwhelmed, the antonyms of awesome are: joynone or blissany.

Last edited:
Lisa! said:
PS have you decreased the time limit for editting posts?
Yes, editing time limit is now 30 minutes.

Sweetness :biggrin:

lisab said:
I first started hearing it from my conservative Christian friends, calling God "an awesome God!"

Isn't that supposed to be 'omnipotent', which trumps 'awesome'? No wonder Christianity is doomed to failure: they can't keep their stories straight. :rolleyes:

Awesome is like a cool word like almost bodacious, awesome thread.

wolram said:
Awesome is like a cool word like almost bodacious

Reminds me of one of my favourite movies: "Bodacious Ta-Ta's". :biggrin:

Thanks! Before this thread I never knew the formal definition of 'awesome.' Searching my posts, I have used it incorrectly on PF almost 100 times :redface:

I've also noticed throughout the years that a lot of people commonly misuse the word 'fan'. Fan is shorthand for 'fanatic', and is a fairly strong word. More often than not if someone says; "Yeah, I'm a fan of theirs.", most likely, they are not truly a fan.

B. Elliott said:
I've also noticed throughout the years that a lot of people commonly misuse the word 'fan'. Fan is shorthand for 'fanatic', and is a fairly strong word. More often than not if someone says; "Yeah, I'm a fan of theirs.", most likely, they are not truly a fan.

I sort of kinda like fandango.

Like, Totally awesome!

B. Elliott said:
Fan is shorthand for 'fanatic'

Actually, it's an Angicized abbreviation for afficianado*, which means essentially the same thing as the English word 'fan'.

*I know how to pronounce it, but I'm not sure about the spelling.

Danger said:
Actually, it's an Angicized abbreviation for afficianado*, which means essentially the same thing as the English word 'fan'.

(L), no one understands English, but some know how to spell it, (not me).

Danger said:

Still within the same lines as what I was trying to get across... implying that they're a connoisseur, an enthusiast. Most people who use the word don't understand it's intensity.

epenguin said:

Oh! As in Oh-some, dude! That's a great idea!

I haven't seen anyone misuse the word awesome, it is perhaps used too often though.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Awesome
b: terrific, extraordinary <had an awesome time>

I see where you're coming from, B. Still, there's a difference between true appreciation and fanaticism. I'm a serious fan of Marvel comics, but you won't find me trying to lock Stan Lee in my basement. :uhh:

Awesome is my definition of some one that comes up with the goods on time.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please"? </h2><p>A "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" is a method used to temporarily restrict access to a specific website or online content in order to prevent users from viewing or interacting with it. This is often done to protect users from harmful or inappropriate content.</p><h2>2. How does a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" work?</h2><p>A "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" works by implementing a filter or restriction on the specific website or content. This can be done through various methods such as using parental control software, network filters, or browser extensions.</p><h2>3. Is a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" permanent?</h2><p>No, a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" is typically temporary and can be lifted or removed by the person who implemented it. However, in some cases, it may be permanent if it is part of a larger restriction or censorship effort.</p><h2>4. Who can request a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please"?</h2><p>Anyone can request a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" for a specific website or content, but it is typically done by parents, schools, or organizations in order to protect their users from potentially harmful or inappropriate content.</p><h2>5. Can a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" be bypassed?</h2><p>In most cases, a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" can be bypassed by using a virtual private network (VPN) or by accessing the content through a different network or device. However, it is important to respect and follow the restrictions put in place by the person or organization who implemented the block.</p>

1. What is the purpose of a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please"?

A "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" is a method used to temporarily restrict access to a specific website or online content in order to prevent users from viewing or interacting with it. This is often done to protect users from harmful or inappropriate content.

2. How does a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" work?

A "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" works by implementing a filter or restriction on the specific website or content. This can be done through various methods such as using parental control software, network filters, or browser extensions.

3. Is a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" permanent?

No, a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" is typically temporary and can be lifted or removed by the person who implemented it. However, in some cases, it may be permanent if it is part of a larger restriction or censorship effort.

4. Who can request a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please"?

Anyone can request a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" for a specific website or content, but it is typically done by parents, schools, or organizations in order to protect their users from potentially harmful or inappropriate content.

5. Can a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" be bypassed?

In most cases, a "Block on "Awesome" Requested: Refrain Please" can be bypassed by using a virtual private network (VPN) or by accessing the content through a different network or device. However, it is important to respect and follow the restrictions put in place by the person or organization who implemented the block.