1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not being able to do Math in degree

1. May 8, 2013 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

I am attending a University where they offer a Mathematical Physics degree programme. The university is restructuring courses in an attempt to make courses more flexible and seem less repetitive. In doing so, however, I have learnt that I will not be able to pursue any pure Math courses. (apart from one on complex variables I think). The only option at the moment is to take less physics and open some way to allow space for more maths, or do the physics and leave the math. Both options seem bad and there did not seem to be such a problem before the restructuring.

At the moment, there is a campaign going on by some students who want this to be changed or for the university to find a suitable solution. What do people here think? A Math Phys degree programme that doesn't allow us to take pure Math? Surely students who do physics take labs so why should we not get to take extra math?

Many thanks for any comments.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted