Can't Log In? Troubleshoot Your Account Access Here!

• Thread starter symbolipoint
  • Start date
In summary, when you try to start a new thread, it does ask you to log in. However, if you post a message, it doesn't require you to log in.
symbolipoint
Homework Helper
Education Advisor
Gold Member
[Note from mentor: this post was originally posted in another thread, and has now been moved to its own thread]

I know that my topic is not in the right place, but I find "LOG IN" is not working. This then really needs to be a new topic about not being able to "LOG IN".

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
So... when you try to respond to an existing thread, it doesn't ask you to log in, but when you try to start a new thread, it does?

I haven't been able to log in today, either.

-hilbert2

Posting messages works, though, if I write the username and password when submitting the post.

If you can't log in, how does this message post under your name?

I think you need to provide a step-by-step guide to reproduce what you are seeing.

Over night a caching service crashed. I restarted and we should be back to normal. Sorry for the trouble!

Likes Charles Link, cnh1995 and hilbert2
jtbell said:
So... when you try to respond to an existing thread, it doesn't ask you to log in, but when you try to start a new thread, it does?
NO.
I click "LOG IN", fill username and password and click button for sign in. The LOG IN button did not become replaced by "MY PF..." link.
I had no available link to initiate a new topic; I had no link to quote nor multiquote in any topic or posts. I only had ability to respond to a post or thread. CLEAR!?

hilbert2 said:
Posting messages works, though, if I write the username and password when submitting the post.
Nice, but not as good as normally functioning physicsforums.
Our administrator has now fixed the problem.

Vanadium 50 said:
If you can't log in, how does this message post under your name?

I think you need to provide a step-by-step guide to reproduce what you are seeing.
GIVE CREDIT TO THE GOOD MENTOR WHO MOVED IT.

symbolipoint said:
I also could not log in yesterday morning. It's now working very well again. Thank you @Greg Bernhardt for fixing it. :) :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
symbolipoint said:
That would be @jtbell.

1. Why can't I log in to my account?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to incorrect login credentials, an expired account, or technical issues with the website or server. It is recommended to double-check your login information and try again, or contact the website's customer support for further assistance.

2. How do I reset my password if I am unable to log in?

If you are unable to log in due to a forgotten password, most websites have an option to reset your password. This usually involves verifying your email address or answering security questions. Follow the prompts provided on the login page or contact the website's customer support for guidance.

3. Are there any common troubleshooting steps I can take to fix the login issue?

Yes, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue. Firstly, clear your browser's cache and cookies and try logging in again. If that doesn't work, try using a different browser or device. You can also try restarting your device or checking your internet connection. If the problem persists, contact the website's customer support for further assistance.

4. Is there a chance my account has been hacked?

It is possible that your account has been compromised if you are unable to log in. In this case, it is important to contact the website's customer support immediately to report the issue and take necessary steps to secure your account.

5. Can I retrieve my account if it has been locked or suspended due to multiple login attempts?

Yes, you can usually retrieve your account by following the prompts provided on the login page or by contacting the website's customer support. They may ask you to verify your identity or provide additional information to unlock your account.