Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not good (cat issue)

1. Oct 21, 2008 #1

~christina~

Gold Member

Mew-mew, has an issue. It started today afternoon. I came home from school, I saw him use the litterbox in the bathroom, then I thought that he was getting an attitude with me when I told him to stop over burying his waste in cat litter. (he actually listened but had a meow fit)

I then picked him up and asked him why he was in such a bad mood, and he started growling and meowing loudly at me, whilst I was carrying him.
    I put him down since he had never done that and then he hissed at me.
    Then he proceeded to cry some more..

Now I find that when he, uses the litter box, no urine is actually being voided.
    He then proceeds to cry/meow loudly and then leave litterbox and cry some more in the hallway.

I looked up why this could be happening and found that male cats have a chance of getting blockage in the urinary tract from, stones, cysts, crystal buildup from concentrated urine, infection.

I'm bringing him to the vet in the morning.

He doesn't want to be disturbed much but cries some more when I talk to him. :cry:

He has now passed a few drops of urine from what I've observed.
    Cries alot after that....seems that the urine drops are quite yellow= concentrated.

I tried to lure him to play with a toy fish that is connected to a stick. He chased it around and then flopped down on his tummy and started to lick his private area....he does this alot.

currently he's in the hallway, crying his lungs out...:cry::cry::cry::cry:
    I feel bad that I can't give him anything for the pain..his leg shakes sometimes too.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2008 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It could be crystallization or it could be a simple UTI. Try not to worry, but get him to the vet as soon as you can.
    Do you have an emergency vet you could go to now?

4. Oct 21, 2008 #3

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh how heartbreaking...I'm so sorry, christina! My thoughts are with you and your sweet Mew-mew :cry: ...

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4

~christina~

Gold Member

There are some in the city but It's quite costly to even treat his condition in the daytime during normal hours (500+) If I do it now, I don't think I would be able to pay for his whole treatment. Then the only option would be to put him down.

He looks alright. He's going tommorow at 10 in the morning.
    I just spent the last 1/2 hour petting him on my lap.

Thanks lisab I hope he'll be fine.

6. Oct 22, 2008 #5

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

oh, no. I don't think any vet would recommend that. But yes, the emergency care is expensive.
    Oh, good. I am glad he is settling down. Give him lots of sweet talk if he starts having pain again and doesn't want to be petted.

For the future, here is a cat litter that is helpful for UTI detection:
    http://www.petabbey.com/store-produ...at-Litter----4-Pound-Bonus-Pack_40346129.html

I also give my kitty special treats for urinary tract health. Maybe your vet can recommend some.

7. Oct 22, 2008 #6
    My cat has crystals, and must be kept on a special diet. The Vet suggested all kinds of tests, and of course the really costly food, that he sells. I however refused and now make my cats food, made of boiled fish or chicken with rice.

8. Oct 22, 2008 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh! Poor Mew mew! :frown: You'd be grouchy too if you really had to pee and couldn't or it was painful when you did. You might want to restrict his access to hiding places...if he starts to hurt too much, he might want to hide and make it hard for you to get him out in the morning when you're ready to head to the vet. Brace yourself for him to be extra grouchy in the morning. He might even try to bite if you pick him up and it hurts, so have a towel ready and remember it's because he's hurting and scared, not because he's being a bad cat.

9. Oct 22, 2008 #8

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Sounds like cystitis or UTI as MIH suggested. Give the cat acidifier (ask the vet) and food with reduced ash/magnesium. If the cat has UTI, then he may need anti-biotic. Clean the litter box more frequently, and use vinegar when cleaning it.

Meanwhile - http://www.homevet.com/petcare/cystitis.html

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/cat-urinarytract-problems.htm

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  10. Oct 22, 2008 #9

Borek

Poor Mew mew :frown: Fingers crossed.

11. Oct 22, 2008 #10

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Put him down because you can't pay? :eek: What kind of mad place do you live? Are there no vet practices that will do it for free like the PDSA? I'm sure you'd be eligible since you're in school.

12. Oct 22, 2008 #11
    While it won't take care of the immediate issue (hopefully the trip to the vet will), the book "The natural cat" by anitra frazier has good advice about preparing a homemade diet for your cat if you choose to go hypatia's route (I had a friend who added pumpkin to help limit her cat's emergency trips to the vet for constipation). It has good advice about other things too, like how to trim your indoor cat's nails safely, how to best introduce a new cat to ones already in the house, etc. A good read even if you aren't as hippy as anitra, and therefore a bit more pragmatic about your cat. (Of course, I'm not as pragmatic about my Cha-Cha as I'd like to think I am!) You and Mew-mew are in our thoughts.

13. Oct 22, 2008 #12

Evo

Christina do take him to the vet even if he shows improvement. I almost lost a cat, he seemed to improve and then fell over and stopped moving, I rushed him to the emergency vet and he had serious bladder damage. He was completely blocked. They weren't sure he was going to live. They unblocked him and drained him and started him on antibiotics, but since they were emergency and only open at night, they told me to take him to a regular vet for observation...then the nightmare began.

This can be fatal and I did have another cat that died after being blocked twice.

It sounds like you have caught this soon enough and Mew Mew will be ok. Please let us know he is.

14. Oct 22, 2008 #13

Astronuc

We (my mom) had a seal-point Siamese cat named Cha-Cha. That was 45 years ago. Unfortunately my mom backed the car over her. :frown:

Our second seal-point Siamese was Ling-Ling. She was an outdoor cat. She survived a collision with a car, although she was badly injured.

We had a Calico (Pumpkin) who had a chronic cystitis problem, and we had to use an acidifier to lower the pH of the urine as well has put her on a special low ash diet.

15. Oct 22, 2008 #14

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

My family dog actually went blind over night on Friday/Satuday. He was diabetic.

Not sure how much longer he has.

16. Oct 22, 2008 #15

Evo

Oh no! Oh, Jason I am so sorry. Pets are so loving and trusting and it's so hard when they get sick. I hope you can spend time with him. I am so sad for you.

17. Oct 22, 2008 #16

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks.

I think it will affect my mom more than anyone.

I'm sure he me misses right now though (out of the house). He's so thin. He used to be more muscular. I used to hit him all the time on his upper back thighs. People thought I was crazy, but for some reason he liked it. :approve:

18. Oct 22, 2008 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, this can be bad if holding his urine results in an infection. Plus, it can give him a distended bladder for a while even with the blockage cleared up. It's not much fun holding the cat in the litter box and pumping water into its mouth until it finally pees. I had to force feed him, as well, since he was sick enough he didn't even feel like eating.

In our case, the first infection weakened him enough that he was susceptible to more illnesses. He'd improve, then catch some other infection or illness, improve, catch something else. We finally gave up when he was down to about a third of his normal weight.

If you get him in and cured before he gets some kind of infection, his chances are pretty good. Just don't wait.

19. Oct 22, 2008 #18

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Christina,

I hope your cat is doing much better and you caught this pretty early on. I can imagine the pain the cat must have had when you caught him/her not being able to pee. Just like humans, it's hard for cats too.

20. Oct 22, 2008 #19
    My cat had a UTI a few months ago. Not a big deal, but get to a vet asap for the comfort of the cat.

21. Oct 22, 2008 #20

Evo

My cat's bladder was also damaged by the stones inside. To make a horrific story short, his penis had to be removed, he had two surgeries and three transfusions.

If a cat is completely blocked for a couple of days the amount of toxins reach extremely high levels. My cat was completely blocked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?