Not (null T) is a subspace of V?

• Thread starter Ahmad Kishki
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subspace
In summary: However, there is a special case where U is the set of all vectors in V that are NOT orthogonal to each other. This is called the null space of the operator T.
Ahmad Kishki
If T is a linear operator L(V,W) then can we say that all the vectors (in the vector space V) that T does not map to the zero vector (in the vector space W) form a subspace call it X?

If a collection of vectors forms a subspace then they must satisfy closure under vector addition and scalar multiplication and there must also exist an additive identity. Taking this into consideration, it is clear that the elements of X are closed under addition (but multiplication not so sure), but its not clear (to me atleast) if W has an additive identity.

Why is X closed?
Suppose the set {x1,x2,...} is a basis for X then the action of T on any linear combination of this set will not lead to a zero vector in W (by linearity of T)

However, if we can never get a zero vector in W by T on X then since T is linear we cannot have the scalar zero multiplying the elements of X since T(0*x)=0 (required for linearity) where x ε X. Hence the additive identity doesn't belong to X?

If this doesn't work can someone suggest an alternative definition for X such that this would work?
My present definition is X = { v ε V : Tv =\=0} .

Thank you :) my motivation here is purely aesthetic i just wanted to write V=(null T)⊕ X

Note: I wasnt able to write "is an element of" so i represented it by epsilon ε

Physics news on Phys.org
If i define X such that the intersection of X with null T is the zero vector then this definition works this leads to V = null T ⊕ X. But i am still interested in what went wrong with the earlier definition?

I suppose you simply need to declare that the zero vector is in all three spaces. Adding the zero vector into X should take care of your requirements for X to be a subspace.

The problem with your earlier definition was just that...it didn't include the zero vector. Every vector space includes the additive identity, and any linear operator acting on the zero vector must return zero, so you can be sure zero was not in X.

Yeah, thank you :)

Often you see this referred to as the column space of the operator T.

In general, given subspace U of vector space, V, the set of all vectors that are NOT in U does NOT form a subspace.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that follows the same rules and operations as the original vector space. In other words, it is a smaller space that is contained within a larger space.

2. How do you determine if something is a subspace?

To determine if something is a subspace, it must satisfy three conditions: it must contain the zero vector, it must be closed under vector addition, and it must be closed under scalar multiplication. If all three conditions are met, then it is a subspace.

3. What does "not (null T)" mean?

"Not (null T)" means that the null space of a linear transformation T is not the same as the zero vector. In other words, there exists at least one vector that is mapped to the zero vector by T, but is not in the null space of T.

4. Why is it important to determine if "not (null T)" is a subspace of V?

Determining if "not (null T)" is a subspace of V is important because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of the linear transformation T. It also allows us to make conclusions about the dimension and rank of T, which can be useful in solving problems in linear algebra.

5. What are the implications of "not (null T) is a subspace of V"?

If "not (null T)" is a subspace of V, it means that there are vectors in V that are mapped to the zero vector by T, but are not in the null space of T. This has implications in understanding the range and nullity of T, as well as the invertibility of T. It also allows for the possibility of finding a basis for V that is not in the null space of T, which can be useful in solving systems of linear equations.