Can CGI ruin the realism of flying with one wing?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
In summary, a video has been circulating claiming to show a pilot landing a plane with only one wing. However, there is significant doubt about the authenticity of the video, with many experts and critics pointing out inconsistencies and evidence that it may be fake. While some argue that it is possible for a plane to fly and land with only one wing, the video has been debunked and deemed a hoax.
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't look very real. Can F-15 fly with one wing?

I've only watched that link once, and I've had a few beers, but I feel inclined to call ******** on it. Right up until the landing, I thought that it was plausible, but that last-second flip into landing attitude just couldn't happen. The only reason that I didn't dismiss it outright is that some aircraft fusilages generate a large amount of lift independent of that provided by the wings. That could possibly allow for a semi-controlled landing with only one wing.

Dunno, it could be, many aircraft can fly http://www.bruce.ogilvy.clara.net/text/training/aero/a12.html [Broken]. 90 degrees of bank, tail low, nose hight and the trust vector combined with fuselage lift combined is enough to keep it level, like Dan said.

The flip to the landing may not be magic either, the thing is unbalanced, the weight of the wing pulling it level, and apparently the aileron had enough command to avoid generating lift with that wing.

The magic of the F-16 landing is not so much aerodynamics but more system redundancy. With such a damage, one would expect all hydraulic systems to drain completely which would inevitably lead to loss of control. Other than that, with such a fuel leak, what portion of the fuel is leaking into the engine bay? How long till the fatal explosion? I don't think, this it was what a superior pilot would have done, trying to land it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like an aerobatics plane (Zivko Edge 540?), they are designed to deny physics.

Is there any question of whether or not this is fake? When it lands, you can tell the plane is a CGI model. The cockpit hatch opens awkwardly, and the prop slows and then stops unnaturally. Not to mention, the cameraman is the best in the world and should be on a Hollywood set instead of filming shorts for video sites, because it's pretty amazing how he was able to keep a speeding plane framed perfectly as it circled him several times at high speeds.

Brilliant! said:
Is there any question of whether or not this is fake? When it lands, you can tell the plane is a CGI model. The cockpit hatch opens awkwardly, and the prop slows and then stops unnaturally. Not to mention, the cameraman is the best in the world and should be on a Hollywood set instead of filming shorts for video sites, because it's pretty amazing how he was able to keep a speeding plane framed perfectly as it circled him several times at high speeds.

Perhaps I am blind, but I can't see it.

The reason this is entirely plausible is because these stunt planes are way over-powered. They don't need the wings to provide lift - just point the thrust skyward and up it goes. The wings serve more as a place to put control surfaces.

Dang.

If it is not real, RC seems to me much more likely than CGI.

I have seen what can a good RC model (huge model of Extra 330, something like 7 or 8 feet wing span) do when flown by a skilled operator. I wonder what is a power/mass ratio for a model and for a real plane. Model was able to just hang on the propeler lift, to some extent that looked similar to what happens just before the landing.

Last edited:
Borek said:
It looks like an aerobatics plane (Zivko Edge 540?), they are designed to deny physics.
Pretty much, yeah.
Dave said:
The reason this is entirely plausible is because these stunt planes are way over-powered. They don't need the wings to provide lift - just point the thrust skyward and up it goes. The wings serve more as a place to put control surfaces.
Exactly. If you've never seen one of these things in action in normal circumstances, you should watch one before calling BS on this.

In addition to the power of the engine, the torque is immense. The wings are also partly there to counteract that torque. I don't know which direction the prop rotates, but the pilot may have gotten lucky and had the correct wing fall off. One wing induces a huge torque in the other direction (inducing the spin at the beginning), the torque of the prop counteracts it, enabling control to be restored maintained in the knife-edge flight. The recovery is problematic, though, since it is spiraling down and increasing power would seem to be the last thing you want to do.

Heroic and amazing, to be sure, but i believe it is real.

Last edited:
Brilliant! said:
Is there any question of whether or not this is fake? When it lands, you can tell the plane is a CGI model. The cockpit hatch opens awkwardly, and the prop slows and then stops unnaturally.
I don't see any of that either, and:
Not to mention, the cameraman is the best in the world and should be on a Hollywood set instead of filming shorts for video sites, because it's pretty amazing how he was able to keep a speeding plane framed perfectly as it circled him several times at high speeds.
What are you talking about?! The camera work is terrible!

Do you call this perfectly framed?:

Attachments

• plane.jpg
    plane.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 337
an F-15 can land on one wing hence the israeli air force pilot who did it before, but its hard to tell the reality of this film.

Um, yeah. Do you really have to ask if this BS is fake?

Andre said:
The flip to the landing may not be magic either

It's not the ability of the thing to flip that bugs me. What I can't quite believe is that it could so precisely snap to the exact proper roll attitude with no overshoot whatsoever. That takes enough real skill with two wings.

It looked fairly real to me when I first saw it.
But AV weekly says it's a hoax.

October 30, 2008
http://www.avweb.com/blogs/insider/AVwebInsiderBlog_ViralVideo_KillaThrill_LostWingLanding_199096-1.html" [Broken]
By Russ Niles

So it arrived with the morning batch of e-mail and it shocked the hell out of me. Here was an aerobatic plane of some kind going into what looked like a routine snap roll and the right wing falls off.

What's interesting is that our "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOBB_-gZFNo"" this week shows the successful landing of an RC model with one wing, and the similarities are quite eerie.

They end there, though.

The RC video is real. The video of James Andersson, if that's his real name, is a fake — a fairly clever one, but a fake nonetheless.

I didn't realize RC airplanes had gotten so large. Back when I was a kid, they only had 2 foot wingspans. The ones nowadays have 6 foot wingspans.

There's also a video where someone has dissected various images from the original video and confirmed that it is fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J72y_qFV2oc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J72y_qFV2oc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I double checked. It's true.

I believe the pilot and cockpit cover opening at the end were added with CGI.

Very convincing hoax. Had me fooled.

I think it is the fact that it is possible in a real sized stunt plane that makes it so believable.

We should try and talk Andre into trying it. :wink:

OmCheeto said:
It looked fairly real to me when I first saw it.
But AV weekly says it's a hoax.

I didn't realize RC airplanes had gotten so large. Back when I was a kid, they only had 2 foot wingspans. The ones nowadays have 6 foot wingspans.

There's also a video where someone has dissected various images from the original video and confirmed that it is fake:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J72y_qFV2oc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param [Broken] name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J72y_qFV2oc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I double checked. It's true.

I believe the pilot and cockpit cover opening at the end were added with CGI.

Very convincing hoax. Had me fooled.

I think it is the fact that it is possible in a real sized stunt plane that makes it so believable.

We should try and talk Andre into trying it. :wink:

No, it's just that when you were a kid you never knew that RC airplanes were so large. Model airplanes have been around since the early 1920's, and have had large wing spans.

Do you really have to consult a website to see if that video is fake? It's garabage.

Cyrus said:
Do you really have to consult a website to see if that video is fake?

Yes. I'm a boat geek, not a plane geek. The kinematic anomalies in the video flew right past me.

OmCheeto said:
Yes. I'm a boat geek, not a plane geek. The kinematic anomalies in the video flew right past me.

It's not that. It's that the CGI is justttt sooo bad. (I have a pet peve about CGI. I HATE HATE HATE it.)

Cyrus said:
It's not that. It's that the CGI is justttt sooo bad. (I have a pet peve about CGI. I HATE HATE HATE it.)
It must be my young eyes. I've grown-up in the CGI-enabled world, be it Pixar or video games. They haven't created CGI advanced enough that I can't spot from a mile away.

1. Can planes fly with one wing?

Yes, planes can fly with one wing, but it requires skilled and experienced pilots to control the flight. In most cases, the plane has to be kept at a certain altitude and speed to maintain stability.

2. How is it possible for a plane to fly with only one wing?

Planes are designed to be aerodynamically stable, meaning they can fly with imbalances in their structure. The remaining wing and other control surfaces, such as the rudder and ailerons, can be used to maintain balance and control the flight.

3. Are there any safety concerns when flying with one wing?

Yes, flying with one wing is considered an emergency situation and there are potential safety concerns. The pilot must be highly trained and follow specific procedures to ensure the safety of the passengers and the aircraft. Additionally, the remaining wing may experience extra stress and strain, so it is important to land as soon as possible.

4. Has a plane ever successfully landed with only one wing?

Yes, there have been instances where pilots have successfully landed a plane with only one wing. In 1989, British Airways Flight 5390 lost its cockpit windshield and the captain was partially ejected from the plane. The co-pilot was able to land the plane safely with only one wing.

5. How often do planes have to fly with one wing?

Flying with one wing is an extremely rare occurrence and is usually caused by a severe malfunction or accident. Airlines have strict maintenance and safety procedures in place to prevent such situations from happening. In most cases, planes are grounded for repairs or replacement of damaged parts.