Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not originally engineers

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    i am curious, are there engineers who originally started out in a field that was not related to engineering and later become engineers? The reason i ask is Im in non engineering field and Im thinking of taking some classes on my own once I get settled in my career and am making enough money to allow for this.

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    I'm also wondering about this.

Specifically, I have a BS with a double major in physics and mathematics, and I'm wondering about my prospects for graduate school in either materials or electrical engineering.

Though I believe cgoetz86 is asking about something a bit different.

cgoetz86, you might be interested in either Boston University's LEAP program, or taking online courses (through, for example, NCSU). You might also be interested in knowing about the "FE exam" which is a part of the process for becoming a Professional Engineer (though without the degree, I don't believe you can attain the full status; but my guess is that taking and passing the exam would show some commitment to a discipline in engineering).

As a disclaimer, these are just ideas from someone who has no experience with the ideas put forth.

4. Jun 1, 2012 #3
    As long as you work under a PE, you can take the PE exam without an ABET acredited engineering degree, just takes a lot longer, something like 10 years experience under a PE before you can take the test...Not to mention how much work it would be to pass the thing without a degree

5. Jun 5, 2012 #4
    I have a friends who worked in retails for quite a few years before he became an electrical engineer in one of the big company. But the chances are rare.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook