Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not Ready To Make Nice

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As a show of support, I'm buying my first country CD ever!

The Dixie Chicks - Not Ready To Make Nice
    http://www.musicrooms.net/cm/live/templates/?a=2588&z=3

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2006 #2

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can't remember what was said about Bush that was so inflammatory.

4. Jun 1, 2006 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She was embarrassed to be from the same State as Bush.

5. Jun 1, 2006 #4
    I really don't see why anyone needs to appologize for that. It's an opinion, they are entitled to it. It may have been inappropriate, but if anyone watches Letterman, SNL, or anything like that I don't see how they are any better.

6. Jun 1, 2006 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh oh, I may be cancelling my order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chicks

What's this; cowards and liars?

7. Jun 1, 2006 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I dunno, running off to another nation to insult our president doesn't exactly fit the definition of respect. And boy is this old news.

8. Jun 1, 2006 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My opinion is that it's all over-hyped...by them...to sell albums. They're just trying to pander to whoever will buy their music as far as I'm concerned. But, hey, free speech and free market...they can say whatever they want, but it doesn't mean it's going to make me buy their albums.

9. Jun 1, 2006 #8

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

sorta like politicians do? :rofl:

10. Jun 1, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yep, pretty much the same.

11. Jun 1, 2006 #10

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Well of course they're just pandering to people. Except it backfired for the most part :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Ah people will fork over anything to anyone who bashes Bush these days.

I was disgusted when people were complaining that you're violating their free speech by refusing to buy their albums. What a load...

12. Jun 1, 2006 #11

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, I heard that version too. :rolleyes: That really bugged me. People can choose to buy or not buy the album for any reason they want. If you hate the music and want to buy it because of the message, great. If you love the music but refuse to buy it because of the message, great. If you like the music and buy it even if you disagree with the message, great.

13. Jun 1, 2006 #12

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Everything turns into a free speech issue these days. Im probably violating someones free speech right now.... somehow.... I rarely buy things or stop buying things just because of what someone said or didnt say or whatever. I know my father once got on a thing about not buying this one mustard because it was French owned and he wanted to buy this bbq sauce because ... some other stupid reason, i forget. I'm way too lazy to protest or support people.

14. Jun 1, 2006 #13

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

There was an active campaign to get radio stations not to play their music. People certainly had a RIGHT to behave this way but since all they said was things I personally believe it made me mad. Such is polarization in the US in the twenty first century!

I just bought their new CD. Not that I relate that much to that kind of music but it wanted to plunk down my 17.50 or whatever to support them. And nuts to you people who speak of public performers as "pandering". That's a snarl word that can be directed against anyone in the media. Doesn't Fox News "pander" to the right wingers?

15. Jun 1, 2006 #14

Pengwuino

Gold Member

But fox news doesnt put out cds for people to fork over their money for... It's pandering and they're getting rich off bush-bashing like so many others, its a fact of life.

This is all very anti-capitalist in my point of view as well. I think it's completely insane for people to buy or not buy something based off of any criteria other then how good the product is. This leaves a lot to be said on how you support people you agree with but hey, its simple and works for me.

And the sad thing is... how do you even know these chicks even disagree with the president? When did rich people become the bastion of honesty? ha! thats another great aspect of my policy, im never lied to because i dont listen to anyone :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  16. Jun 1, 2006 #15
    The whole argument against the Dixie Chicks as that when she said that about Bush she did so in a foreign country (although in the borders of our greatest ally) and at a time of war, which for some reason brings our troops down. It's the most ridiculous and paranoid thing I have ever heard and it show's you how kneejerk and delusional the demographic that supports the president (who were die hard Dixie Chick fans before this happened) to begin with. I'm ashamed that Bush is from America, and I say that with many close friends in this war.

I'm a Kansas boy, I know what the deal is here.

17. Jun 1, 2006 #16

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow i think that statement showed how dilusional the anti-bush crowd is. Do you think the troops, that are fighting for their lives as terrorists hunker down in German built bunkers, were heading out with their heads held high because their follow americans ran away to another country to disrespect their commander-in-chief?

18. Jun 1, 2006 #17

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, Fox News puts out T-shirts, polo shirts, hats, and coffee cups, etc. (Fox News Shop

There's a difference bewteen the Dixie Chicks bashing Bush and Kanye West, Bruce Springsteen, Jadakiss, Ozzy Osbourne, and others bashing bush. Country music fans are much more likely to be pro-Bush than fans of other types of music, so you could expect them to lose money by bashing Bush rather than making more money.

Generally, country music artists are the most likely to do USO tours to support the troops - they take a hit in money compared to what they could make on a commercial tour, but it really resonates with their fan base.

Still, when it comes to the Dixie Chicks' music..... meh, it's okay, but I've never bought one of their CDs.

19. Jun 1, 2006 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I understand what you're syaing but i think the anti-bush sentiment in this country is so out of control, i bet they could have easily thought they would make more money appealing to the wealthier, more politically obsessed left and easily boosted international sales. You wouldn't happen to know how their sales were doing before they made that comment would you?

20. Jun 1, 2006 #19

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The last CD they made before the controversy (Home) debuted at #1 on the Country charts, making them the first female musicians to have two albums debut at #1. The newest CD, the first since the controversy, makes them the first female musicians to have 3 albums debut at #1.

In other words, the effect of the controversy reduced the amount of airplay they got on the radio, which you would expect to affect sales, but actually wound up having little effect one way or the other.

21. Jun 1, 2006 #20

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow i don't know which is more surprising, their record sales or the fact that their airtime didn't affect their sales in any dramatic way. This really makes me wonder about the logic people use when they steal music... the whole "getting their music out there for free means higher sales" thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?