Should I Switch Careers from Psychology to Neuroscience or Physics?

• Thread starter CosminaPrisma
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker has one more semester left of their psychology degree but has realized they are not interested in pursuing a career in psychology. They are considering going back to school for a degree in either neuroscience or physics, with neuroscience being their first choice. They are also considering vocational school for respiratory therapy as a potential career option. The speaker is worried about their financial situation and asks for advice on working while going back to school for a science degree. There is also some hesitation about their plan and whether their newfound interest in science is genuine.
CosminaPrisma
I have one more semester of college left and I am getting my B.S. in psychology. :rofl: But, I have realized that psychology is really not what I want to do. I would like to go back for either a degree in neuroscience or physics. ( Neuroscience is my first choice, but physics is also interesting.) to eventually attend graduate school for something related to neuroscience. (I.E. neuroscience itself, although I think prospects for neural engineering and comp. neuro are really, really, inexplicably awesome!) I had a good math background in high school but since I've been in college I haven't really taken any math beyond stats, and really no science except for a couple neuroscience courses for my degree (no chem yet). I've decided to look into going to vocational school for respiratory therapy since with further training I can become a sleep technologist and a lot of the hours that respiratory techs/sleep techs can work are conducive with going back to school part time. ( And the $$$ is relatively good, and I could get benefits) The good thing is I am not in debt currently and would like to stay that way if possible. Next semester I am registered for pre-calc and a general chem class for my Respiratory Tech degree & am hoping to find some sort of menial employment to pay for my education (discount store, waitress, whatever). I am not very employable with just my psychology degree unless I go and get a CNA certificate (no business background) , and I did that when I was 17 and it really wasn't my thing. Respiratory Tech is healthcare and there are similarities between it and nursing but I would much rather be a respiratory tech than a nurse.
Some questions that I have: Have any of you worked full time and gone back to school for a science degree? What kind of work did you do to support yourself? Do I sound crazy out of my gord with my plan? Got any advice? I want to go back for a 2nd bachelors in a couple years because to be honest, my psych degree grades aren't good enough to get me into grad school for a phd if I took the necessary sciences...

Physics news on Phys.org
Grass is greener on the other side.

It took you almost 4 yrs to realize that psychology is not your thing. Are you really sure Physics is what you want to do? Your new found interest in science could be just due to the neuroscience classes you took. For e.g. it might be cool to read about quantum physics without going into details but taking a class is usually not a pleasant experience.

I found some colleges offering neuroscience programs for graduate psychology students by searching on google.

First of all, congratulations on almost completing your B.S. in psychology! It takes a lot of hard work and dedication to reach this point. It's completely normal to have doubts and uncertainties about your career path at this stage. It's important to take some time to reflect on your interests and goals before making any major decisions.

From what you have shared, it seems like you are drawn towards neuroscience and physics, which are both exciting and rapidly growing fields. It's great that you have identified your interests and are considering going back to school for a second bachelors degree. However, before making any decisions, I would suggest exploring these fields further and gaining some hands-on experience through internships or volunteer work. This will give you a better understanding of what these fields entail and help you make an informed decision.

As for working full-time and going back to school for a science degree, it is definitely possible but it requires a lot of hard work and time management skills. Many people have successfully done it, so it's not impossible. It's important to have a clear plan and prioritize your tasks to balance work, school, and personal life.

In terms of supporting yourself while going back to school, it's great that you are considering vocational school for respiratory therapy. This will not only provide you with a stable job but also give you experience in the healthcare field, which can be beneficial for your future studies in neuroscience. It's also a good idea to explore scholarship and financial aid options to help with the cost of education.

Overall, my advice would be to take some time to explore your interests and gain some experience in the fields you are considering before making any major decisions. Don't be afraid to reach out to professionals in these fields for advice and guidance. With hard work and determination, you can achieve your goals and pursue a career that you are truly passionate about. Best of luck!

1. What is the meaning of "Not Real Sure What to Do"?

"Not Real Sure What to Do" is a phrase that typically indicates uncertainty or indecisiveness about a particular situation or course of action. It may also suggest a lack of knowledge or understanding about how to proceed.

2. How can I overcome feeling "Not Real Sure What to Do"?

Overcoming the feeling of uncertainty or indecisiveness can be challenging, but some techniques that may help include seeking advice or guidance from others, gathering more information about the situation, and taking small steps towards a decision or action. It can also be helpful to reflect on your values and priorities to guide your decision-making process.

3. Is it normal to feel "Not Real Sure What to Do" in certain situations?

Yes, it is completely normal to feel uncertain or unsure in certain situations. It is a natural part of the decision-making process and can be a sign that you are taking the time to carefully consider your options. However, if these feelings persist or significantly impact your daily life, it may be helpful to seek support from a therapist or counselor.

4. Can "Not Real Sure What to Do" be a good thing?

While it can be uncomfortable, feeling unsure or uncertain can also be a positive thing. It can allow for a more thoughtful and deliberate decision-making process and can lead to better outcomes in the long run. It can also be a sign that you are open to new ideas and willing to take risks.

5. What can I do to make a decision when I am "Not Real Sure What to Do"?

When facing a difficult decision and feeling unsure, it can be helpful to break down the decision into smaller, more manageable steps. Additionally, seeking input from trusted friends, family, or colleagues can provide valuable perspectives. Ultimately, it is important to trust your instincts and make the decision that feels right for you.