1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not so easy limit to inf

1. Aug 15, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}-7^{3n}+(n+1)!\right) \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n [/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    Limits manipulation

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, in the first parenthesis, I have clear (I hope so) that the biggest term is the one containing [itex]n^n[/itex], since [itex]n^n>n!>a^n>....[/itex]
    I should make passages, but this is quite clear to me.

The hard part is that
    [tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n [/tex]

I am tempted to replace [itex]x = \frac{1}{n}[/itex]
    so that I obtain

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \left(x - \sin x \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Now, remembering that for [itex]x \to 0[/itex]
    [tex]\sin x = x - \frac{x^3}{6}+ o(x^3)[/tex]
    I'll write
    [tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \left(x - \sin x \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} = \left(\frac{x^3}{6}+ o(x^3) \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Let me forget the rest [itex]o(x^3)[/itex], and go back to [itex]n[/itex]
    and write that

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n = \frac{1}{6n^{3n}}[/tex]
    This should hold true, as [itex]n \to +\infty[/itex]

Now, I go back to the first part of the limit

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}-7^{3n}+(n+1)!\right) [/tex]
    neglecting the parts that are lower oder of infinity wrt to [itex]n^n[/itex]I can write it as
    [tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}\right) [/tex]
    [tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{n})n^{3n}\right) [/tex]

If I divide it by the term coming from the other expression I get

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac {\left (7(6^{n})(n^{3n})\right)}{6n^{3n}} = \lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (\frac{7}{6}(6^{n})\right) = +\infty [/tex]

I should have finally found that all that stuff goes to infinity.

But I'm not really sure of the passages.... anyone can kindly confirm ?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 15, 2011 #2

dynamicsolo

Homework Helper

I believe this is [tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n = \lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{6n^{3}}\right)^n = \lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{6^{n}n^{3n}}\right) ,[/tex]

making the final result

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac {\left (7(6^{n})(n^{3n})\right)}{6^{n}n^{3n}} = 7 .[/tex]

(It took a while to spot the omission. A graph of the function confirms this limit -- although the grapher's calculator gave out before x = 60...)

4. Aug 15, 2011 #3
    Ah sure.... poor me !

Thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook