Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not so independent investigation?

1. Sep 6, 2005 #1

EL

Science Advisor

Heard on the news that G.W.Bush was going to let a committee investigate why the help to New Orleans was so ineffective, and what could have been done better. This sounds like a perfectly good idea. However they also claimed that he would lead this committee by himself! :bugeye: Is this true?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2005 #2
    I predict some people will like this idea, completely disregarding their previous position when they disagreed back when Hillary suggested it.

4. Sep 6, 2005 #3

EL

Science Advisor

For those who knows Swedish:
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/nyheter/story/0,2789,695206,00.html

Translated introduction:

The American president George W Bush will personally lead an investigation about what was good respectively bad about the federal help efforts.
    But he didn't want to have any independent commission.

Sixth line from below:

But he didn't even respond on the demands of an independent commission. The president wants to lead the investigation himself.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  5. Sep 6, 2005 #4
    I also suspect it will come up with everyone being responsible except bush.

6. Sep 6, 2005 #5

EL

Science Advisor

I really can't believe this is true. Is it?

7. Sep 6, 2005 #6
    I hope that no one's stupid enough to let him lead the investigation. Hey, while we're at it, maybe we should let Ken Lay investigate the goings on at Enron. We can also put Bin Laden in charge of the 9/11 Commission.

8. Sep 6, 2005 #7

EL

Science Advisor

Even if he will not be allowed to lead it, the Americans must now really think about what kind of president they have. Even just suggesting something like that, I really can't believe it...I really can't...

9. Sep 6, 2005 #8
    Well, everybody except his own administration and appointees.

He's already said he won't fire Brown and thinks he's doing a wonderful job.

Frankly, I'm not the least surprised.

10. Sep 6, 2005 #9
    If it's any consolation, his approval ratings are tanking.

That said, there will always be plenty of people supporting him and doing anything they can to keep from admitting that he's a failure.

The WH is furiously, absolutely furiously, trying to spin this thing. They have been since last wednesday, they'll keep doing it.

Expect more of it in the future.

11. Sep 6, 2005 #10

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course, it couldn't be 'cause the boss is angry.

12. Sep 6, 2005 #11

EL

Science Advisor

Translated from the link above, line 11:
    George W Bush seems to be satisfied with FEMA. During an inspection this Friday he was according to AP heard to say to Brown:
    - Brownie, you are doing a damn good job.

13. Sep 6, 2005 #12
    Ridiculous, isn't it? At the WH press conference this morning somebody asked McClellan if he thought Brownie was still doing a good job. LOL.

14. Sep 6, 2005 #13
    Although, this is the same man who gave George Tenet the Medal of Freedom. If there's one thing that I've learned about this administration, it's that they reward incompetence.

15. Sep 6, 2005 #14

EL

Science Advisor

I actually don't know what would be worse, that he came up with such an idea, or that the Americans will buy it.
    If our Prime minister had tried something like that he probably would have been put to work in the mines for the rest of his life (with his shoe laces tied together).

Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  16. Sep 6, 2005 #15

EL

Science Advisor

Medal of Freedom, hmm.
    It's like that all countries with names including "Democratic" never are so...

17. Sep 6, 2005 #16
    Any investigation should be done from outside of the Whitehouse. Let the Corp of Engineers do it. There is a much greater chance that they will be truer to themselves and true to the nation. But there is no guarantee.

Who do you good people think should do the investigation?????

18. Sep 6, 2005 #17
    Some grad students from MIT or some other high profile engineering school perhaps? I am certain the school would be interested in taking the job because it suggest the government trust them to do the job, which will look good, and they could use the money.

It looks good for the government because, well, do I even have to say?

19. Sep 6, 2005 #18
    Indepenent Council.

20. Sep 6, 2005 #19
    As usual foreigners and intelligent Americans understand this shows Bush's unethical cover-up mentality and the obvious 'conflict of interest' in overseeing a probe into actions (or lack of action) of his own administration. You are rightfully shocked, but unfortunately there are Americans who would buy it (the same ones who still believe WMD were in Iraq but moved, and that we invaded Iraq to fight 9-11 terrorists for example?).

21. Sep 6, 2005 #20
    Anybody see that video? Brown looked a little embarrassed when the President said it. I leave it to the viewer to decide whether he was just embarrassed from the attention or something else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?