Integrating Inverse Trigonometric Functions with Substitution

• Thread starter iRaid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, a user struggles to find an error in their substitution while solving an integral. After some discussion, it is determined that the error is in the substitution of u back into the final expression, specifically in the term for sine of 2 times the inverse tangent of x. The correct approach is to use the identity for sine of double angle and rewrite the sine and cosine in terms of the substitution variable u.
iRaid

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{(x^{2}+2x+2)^{2}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just going to skip down to where something is wrong (the beginning is a u-substitution and trig. substitution so I don't want to type all that out)
After all the trig/u-subs I end up with:
[tex]\int cos^{2}\theta d \theta=\int \frac{1}{2}+\frac{cos2 \theta}{2}d \theta=\frac{\theta}{2}+\frac{sin2\theta}{4}+C[/tex]

So now I substitute back, u=tanθ:
[tex]\frac{tan^{-1}u}{2}+\frac{u}{2\sqrt{u^{2}+1}}[/tex]
and u=x+1:
I THINK THE ERROR IS HERE SOMEWHERE, BUT NOT SURE WHERE
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(tan^{-1}(x+1)+\frac{x+1}{\sqrt{(x+1)^{2}+1}})+C[/tex]Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error is when you substitute ##\theta## back into ##\displaystyle \frac{sin2\theta}{4} \not = \frac{u}{2\sqrt{u^{2}+1}}##

Last edited:
If you draw the triangle where u=tanθ, then sine of that would be [itex]\frac{u}{\sqrt{u^{2}+1}}[/itex] wouldn't it? And then multiplying that by 2 would just be 2 times that, but I think that's the error, I'm not sure what the 2 does to the sine function.

iRaid said:
If you draw the triangle where u=tanθ, then sine of that would be [itex]\frac{u}{\sqrt{u^{2}+1}}[/itex] wouldn't it? And then multiplying that by 2 would just be 2 times that, but I think that's the error, I'm not sure what the 2 does to the sine function.

No, ##sin(2arctan(x)) \not = 2sin(arctan(x))##. I don't know how to derive ##sin(2arctan(x))## but a Google search could help.

Instead of finding an expression without trig functions, sometimes it's just best to leave it as is. The answer is still perfectly valid.

Ok yeah I see that's the problem, but even after googling it, that doesn't help :\

Still don't understand this, could someone explain how to get sin(2arctan(x))?

Use ##\sin(2\theta) = 2\sin \theta \cos \theta##, then write the sin and cos in terms of u.

Mute said:
Use ##\sin(2\theta) = 2\sin \theta \cos \theta##, then write the sin and cos in terms of u.

Wow forgot that, thanks so much.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the accumulation of a quantity over an interval. It is often used to find the area under a curve or to calculate the total value of a continuous function.

2. How do I solve an integral?

The process of solving an integral depends on the type of integral and the function being integrated. In general, you can use techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric identities to evaluate the integral. It is also important to understand the properties of integrals, such as linearity and the fundamental theorem of calculus.

3. What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it is evaluated over a specific interval. Its value is a number. On the other hand, an indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and is represented by a function. Its value is a family of functions that differ by a constant.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve integrals?

Yes, most scientific and graphing calculators have built-in functions to evaluate integrals. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration in order to use a calculator effectively and to interpret the results correctly.

5. What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They are used to calculate areas, volumes, and other physical quantities, as well as to model and analyze continuous processes and systems. Some examples include calculating the distance traveled by an object, finding the average value of a function, and determining the total amount of sales for a business.