What is the Formula for Calculating the Length of Cable Hanging Over a Table?

• Thread starter TopCat
  • Start date
In summary: I was wondering if anyone had a better solution, and it looks like I might have to go back and read the book.In summary, the textbook and the way I were solving the problem had different solutions.
TopCat
Here's the problem:
A perfectly flexible cable has length L. Initially, the cable is at rest, with a length x0 of it hanging vertically over the edge of a table. Neglecting friction, compute the length hanging over the edge after a time t. Assume that the sections of the cable remain straight during the motion.

The way I see it, the solution will be a formula such that after a certain time t', the solution of the formula is always L, since after t' all of the cable has fallen off of the table. Ignoring a finite L, the physics of the problem should lead to
x = |-x0 - .5gt²|, where x is the length of cable hanging over the edge. Setting x equal to L I see that t' = √[2(L-x0)/g]. Therefore I have as a solution the piecewise formula:

x = |-x0 - .5gt²| for t < √[2(L-x0)/g]
X = L for t ≥ √[2(L-x0)/g]

The textbook, on the other hand, has x = x0 Cosh[√(g/L) t]. I don't have the foggiest idea how they ended up with with solution, unless I missed something big and fundamental. A push in the right direction is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're assuming the acceleration of the system is g which it isn't. Draw yourself a free body diagram to see what is happening. You're going to end up solving some sort of differential equation I gather.

Let M be the mass of the cable. Then its density is M/L (I'm assuming it is uniform).
The force pulling the cable off the table is the weight of the portion hanging down: the mass of that portion is (M/L)x and the force is (M/L)xg. The mass used in
"m d2x/dt2= F" is the entire mass: M d2/dt2= (M/L)xg so d2x/dt2= (g/L)x (notice this is not "-" since the chain falling will increase x).

Ah, thanks for the replies, guys.

What does "Not sure how I am wrong" mean?

"Not sure how I am wrong" is a phrase that indicates uncertainty or confusion about a potential mistake or error. It suggests that the speaker is open to receiving feedback or corrections in order to better understand their error.

Why do people say "Not sure how I am wrong"?

People may say "Not sure how I am wrong" in order to express their willingness to learn and improve. It can also be used as a way to invite others to provide constructive criticism or feedback on their work.

Is "Not sure how I am wrong" a sign of weakness?

No, "Not sure how I am wrong" is not necessarily a sign of weakness. In fact, it can be a sign of strength and humility to admit when one is unsure or may have made a mistake. It shows a willingness to listen and learn from others.

Can "Not sure how I am wrong" be used in a professional setting?

Yes, "Not sure how I am wrong" can be used in a professional setting. In fact, it is often encouraged in the workplace as a way to foster a culture of open communication and continuous improvement.

How can I respond to someone who says "Not sure how I am wrong"?

You can respond by providing constructive feedback or offering suggestions for improvement. It is important to be respectful and avoid being overly critical, as the person may be genuinely seeking to understand and improve their work.