Will the Box Move on a Braking Truck? Mathematical Justification Required

• Thread starter tonya
  • Start date
In summary, a 5 kg box sitting in the bed of a pickup truck moving at 90 km/h with a maximum frictional force of 15N is being braked uniformly to a stop in 125 m. The calculated acceleration of the truck is -0.2 ms-2, indicating that the box will move in the same direction as the truck. This is justified by the equation f=ma, where the force of friction is less than the force required to keep the box at rest.
tonya

Homework Statement

A box with a mass of 5 kg sits in the middle of the bed of a pickup truck moving with a speed of 90 km/h. The maximum force of friction between the box and the truck is 15N. If the truck were braked uniformly to a stop in 125 m, would the box move? Justify your answer mathematically.

Homework Equations

vf2= vo2 + 2ax?

The Attempt at a Solution

a= (vf2 - vo2) / 2x
a= (0-9) / 2(125)
a= -0.36
yes is would
am i even close?

Physics news on Phys.org
Almost correct .

Calculate the acceleration of the truck - make sure you use consistent units.
Then draw a diagram of the forces acting horizontally on the box, remember f=ma

right so, 90 km/h is 25m/s. therefore acceleration [of truck] is equal to -0.1m/s2

Think you have a calculator error there
a = v2/ 2s = 252 / 2*125 ms-2

1. What is the best approach for tackling a project that I am not sure how to do?

The best approach for tackling a project that you are not sure how to do is to start by breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks. Then, do some research to gain a better understanding of the project and its requirements. Additionally, seeking guidance from colleagues or mentors can be helpful in providing insight and direction.

2. How can I overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed when faced with a project that I am not sure how to do?

One way to overcome the feeling of being overwhelmed is to create a plan or timeline for completing the project. This can help you stay organized and focused on one task at a time. Additionally, taking breaks and practicing self-care can help alleviate stress and improve productivity.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when I am not sure how to do a project?

Yes, it is perfectly acceptable to ask for help when you are not sure how to do a project. In fact, seeking assistance from colleagues or mentors can be beneficial in gaining new perspectives and insights on how to approach the project. It also shows that you are willing to learn and improve.

4. How important is it to have a clear understanding of a project before starting it?

Having a clear understanding of a project before starting it is crucial for its success. This includes understanding the goals, requirements, and timeline of the project. It also helps in identifying any potential challenges or roadblocks that may arise and preparing for them accordingly.

5. What resources are available to help me when I am not sure how to do a project?

There are many resources available to help you when you are not sure how to do a project. These may include online tutorials, forums, books, or workshops related to the specific project or subject matter. Additionally, seeking guidance from colleagues or mentors can also be a valuable resource.