Not sure how to solve this problem

• Thread starter belleamie
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding complex algebra and the suggestion is to review the basics of complex numbers before attempting to solve it. The question is also suggested to be posted in the homework section for better assistance.
belleamie
not sure how to solve this problem, Any suggestions or examples?

Attachments

• quantumque3.bmp
    75.2 KB · Views: 546
Physics news on Phys.org
you should have posted this in the homework section.

What do you know on complex algebra ?

marlon

(This is not Quantum Physics - moving to homework help)

The question is wrongly written. It is asking you to show that the modulus of the product of 2 complex numbers is equal to the product of their moduli, and that the argument is equal to the sum of their arguments.

marlon said:
you should have posted this in the homework section.

What do you know on complex algebra ?

marlon
Hmm the problem was a review question for my quantum 1 class which is why i posted it here. Since I wasnt sure exactly where in my book it referred to it. I'm taken up to linear algebra a couple yrs ago. I cut and pasted thequestion as it was typed in my notes...

What happens if you write the complex numbers in the polar (exponential) form ?

Gokul43201 said:
What happens if you write the complex numbers in the polar (exponential) form ?
I'm not sure how to write it in that form

belleamie said:

[tex]z = r(\cos \theta + i\sin \theta) = re^{i\theta}[/tex]

belleamie said:
In that case, you need to go over your chapter on complex analysis from the start. If you do not know the basics of complex numbers, you will not get anywhere by cutting and pasting solutions.

1. How can I approach a problem I'm unsure how to solve?

The first step is to carefully read and understand the problem. Identify what is being asked and what information is provided. Then, try to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also try to relate the problem to something you already know or have solved before.

2. What if I don't know the necessary formulas or concepts to solve the problem?

If you are unsure of the formulas or concepts needed to solve the problem, try doing some research or consulting a textbook or reliable online source. Additionally, you can seek help from a teacher, tutor, or classmate who may have a better understanding of the topic.

3. How can I check my work to see if I have solved the problem correctly?

One way to check your work is to go back and carefully read the problem again. Make sure your solution makes sense and answers the original question. You can also plug your solution into the given information to see if it produces the expected result.

4. What if I get stuck and can't seem to make any progress?

If you are stuck, take a break and come back to the problem with a fresh perspective. Sometimes, stepping away from the problem for a bit can help you see it in a new light. You can also try talking through the problem with a friend or writing down your thought process to help organize your ideas.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

Practice makes perfect! The more problems you solve, the more you will become familiar with different techniques and strategies for approaching and solving problems. You can also challenge yourself by solving more difficult problems or by tackling problems from different areas of study.