Not sure what career in technology I want.

In summary, the person is a high school student starting grade 11 semester 2 and is already thinking about their grade 12 courses and university programs. They are interested in technology and engineering, particularly in math, physics and material engineering. They are considering taking TrackOne at U of T and are also interested in theoretical physics and research. They are seeking suggestions on what university programs will lead to as a career and what jobs people with similar interests have now. They also mention their high school marks and their interest in exploring different engineering focuses before making a decision.
Esoremada
I am starting grade 11 semester 2 and already in the first few days it's time to choose our grade 12 courses, so I have to decide what I want to go to university for to get my prerequisites down :eek:, and I haven't been able to see what chemistry and biology are like beyond what I learned in the grade 10 general science class. I was thinking about Eng Sci at UofT but I don't know if I can handle it and I've heard to many horror stories about that course's drop out rate and marks curving down. Can someone give some suggestions on what certain university programs will lead to as a career? I know I want to deal with technology but I have no clue what kind :S

I like math and physics the most, what kind of jobs use these the most? But I haven't even studied chemistry much yet, I might like that too. Material engineering looks interesting, developing graphine, hydrophobic materials, sounds cool. I think I might also like to develop microchips at Intel or something, but I'm not extremely interesting in software design.Right now I think I want to take TrackOne at U of T.
http://www.utoronto.ca/programs/undergraduate-programs.htm

What did you guys take in university and what jobs do you have now?

My marks in semester 1 were:
Physics- 90
Math- 90
English- 93
ICS- 90

I'm also interested in theoretical physics and research, but is there a limited pool of jobs for that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Esoremada said:
I am starting grade 11 semester 2 and already in the first few days it's time to choose our grade 12 courses, so I have to decide what I want to go to university for to get my prerequisites down :eek:, and I haven't been able to see what chemistry and biology are like beyond what I learned in the grade 10 general science class. I was thinking about Eng Sci at UofT but I don't know if I can handle it and I've heard to many horror stories about that course's drop out rate and marks curving down. Can someone give some suggestions on what certain university programs will lead to as a career? I know I want to deal with technology but I have no clue what kind :S

I like math and physics the most, what kind of jobs use these the most? But I haven't even studied chemistry much yet, I might like that too. Material engineering looks interesting, developing graphine, hydrophobic materials, sounds cool. I think I might also like to develop microchips at Intel or something, but I'm not extremely interesting in software design.

Right now I think I want to take TrackOne at U of T.
http://www.utoronto.ca/programs/undergraduate-programs.htm

What did you guys take in university and what jobs do you have now?

My marks in semester 1 were:
Physics- 90
Math- 90
English- 93
ICS- 90

I'm also interested in theoretical physics and research, but is there a limited pool of jobs for that?

Since you still have another year of high school left, take another math course and physics course since you're interested in Engineering. Usually the university that you go to will have you take the basic prerequisites for all Engineering majors for the first year. So you can easily change your focus in Engineering.

Read up on the job descriptions of different engineering focuses, that will give you an idea of what you want to major.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What types of careers are available in technology?

There are a wide variety of careers available in technology, including software development, data analysis, cybersecurity, IT support, and project management. Additionally, many companies also have positions in technology-related fields such as marketing, finance, and human resources.

2. How do I determine which career in technology is right for me?

The best way to determine which career in technology is right for you is to research different job roles and their responsibilities. Consider your skills, interests, and values to see which career aligns best with them. You can also reach out to professionals in different technology fields to ask about their experiences and gain more insight.

3. What education or training do I need for a career in technology?

The education or training required for a career in technology varies depending on the specific job role. Many positions in technology require at least a bachelor's degree in a related field, such as computer science or information technology. However, some roles may only require specific certifications or relevant work experience.

4. Are there opportunities for advancement in technology careers?

Yes, there are plenty of opportunities for advancement in technology careers. As technology continues to evolve, there is always a need for professionals with new skills and knowledge. With experience and continued education, you can advance to higher positions such as team lead, manager, or even executive roles.

5. Is it necessary to have strong technical skills for a career in technology?

While having strong technical skills is beneficial for a career in technology, it is not always necessary. There are many roles in technology that require more soft skills, such as communication, problem-solving, and project management. However, having a basic understanding of technology and a willingness to learn is essential for any career in this field.