Not sure what to do

WCL

Hey guys!

So like the title says, I'm really not sure what I want to do after college. Right now, I'm a freshman in college, majoring in chemical engineering. However, I'm also planning to double major with physics. I picked these two majors because they seem the most open ended so I could do basically whatever I wanted after college, but I'm being hit with the reality that it really doesn't matter what my degree is, but that I need the research/internships to get the related jobs, and there is a limit to the amount of research/internships I could obtain during college, so in the end, I'd still be limited to a few opportunities. At least, I think that's how it works.
I didn't really choose chemical engineering to get into the petroleum/oil industry either, as working in some dirty factory doesn't really interest me. Also, I'm not too into the medical production stuff. I enjoyed high school AP physics, which is partially the reason why I'm considering the double major in physics. I'm guessing that in the end, I could probably combine the two disciplines for a career in something nuclear, probably for reactors, as I'm not interested in working for the US Department of Defense. Still, I think I'd want to do research more than working in a nuclear reactor, so I thought perhaps research in nuclear fusion power...but I haven't actually had true research opportunities to see if I would be interested in a career in research. If I didn't do something nuclear, I've basically hit a dead end for what I would want to do. Optics seem to be something big in physics right now, but I'm not too thrilled on that stuff. The ridiculous theoretical parts just don't seem very interesting to me. Astrophysics...maybe, but I don't really know what that would entail. I don't really want to sit behind a telescope seeing little specs move a few millimeters a day, nor do I want to be involved with massive amounts of calculations involving that. I just like things more...concrete...than doing massive amounts of speculation a spec of light and how far it is from other specs of light. Well, I know there's a bunch of other factors like radiation emitted as well, but still. Beyond that, I'm not sure...
Now though, I'm wondering if this course of action is even feasible, and if it is, is it really worth it? From what I've read, chemical engineering and physics are two of the hardest majors out there, and combining it sounds pretty ridiculous. In addition, I'm also not the most productive person, as I went through high school doing minimal amounts of work, on the order of a few hours of homework per week, even though I loaded myself with as many AP classes as I could take(I got 4s and 5s on them, which is what even makes the double major remotely possible and still graduate in 4 years).
What does everyone think?

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving