Not sure where i went wrong

• Thread starter mullets1200
  • Start date
In summary, the cable car descends a 200-m-high hill with the help of its brakes and a counterweight. The cable car and counterweight have negligible rolling friction and are on a 30-20-130 triangle. To maintain constant speed, the cable car needs a braking force of 3780 N. If the brakes fail, the speed of the runaway car at the bottom of the hill can be calculated by considering the change in kinetic energy and the heights gained and dropped on each side of the triangle.
mullets1200

Homework Statement

The 1990 kg cable car shown in the figure descends a 200-m-high hill. In addition to its brakes, the cable car controls its speed by pulling an 1780 kg counterweight up the other side of the hill. The rolling friction of both the cable car and the counterweight are negligible.

The trangle that this is on is a 30-20-130 triangle. The counter weight is on the 20 degree side while the cable car is on the 30 degree side

1) How much braking force does the cable car need to descend at constant speed?
3780 N

2) One day the brakes fail just as the cable car leaves the top on its downward journey. What is the runaway car's speed at the bottom of the hill?

The Attempt at a Solution

for part 1 i did:
1990*g*sin(30)-1780*g*sin(20)
3780N which was correct

for part 2 i did:
The height dropped on the AB side is 200m
The height gained on the BC side is
200/L=sin(30)
L=200/sin(30)
hbc*sin(30)/200=sin(20)
hbc=200*sin(20)/sin(30)
137 m

m*g*(200-137)=.5*m*v^2
v=sqrt(2*g*63)
35 m/s but it was wrong.

any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
mullets1200 said:
m*g*(200-137)=.5*m*v^2

any help?

The cable car and the counter weigth have a different mass, so m*g*(200-137) is
wrong.
You also need to account for the increase in kinect energy of both the car and
the counterweight.

What does "Not sure where i went wrong" mean?

"Not sure where i went wrong" typically means that the person is unsure about where they made a mistake or where they could have done something differently. It can be a statement of frustration or confusion.

Why is it important to reflect on where I went wrong?

Reflecting on where you went wrong can help you identify areas for improvement and prevent similar mistakes in the future. It also allows for personal growth and a deeper understanding of the situation.

How can I figure out where I went wrong?

One way to figure out where you went wrong is to retrace your steps and analyze the situation. You can also seek feedback from others who were involved or ask for a second opinion. Reflecting on your actions and decisions can also help you determine where you may have made a mistake.

What should I do if I can't figure out where I went wrong?

If you are unable to determine where you went wrong, don't be afraid to ask for help. Reach out to a mentor, friend, or colleague for their perspective and advice. Sometimes an outside perspective can provide valuable insights.

How can I learn from my mistakes and move forward?

Learning from your mistakes and moving forward involves acknowledging and accepting your mistakes, taking responsibility for them, and making a plan to prevent similar mistakes in the future. It's also important to forgive yourself and focus on the lessons learned rather than dwell on the mistake itself.