Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure where to post

1. Jul 13, 2008 #1
    I have an idea/project that i want to create but I need some advice so i was wondering where i should post it.

The idea is to create a box filled with water and have air coming up from the bottom. Then have broken glass and mirrors floating inside the box. As an extra have lights and or lasers in it.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2008 #2
    What is this thing supposed to do?

4. Jul 14, 2008 #3
    First it would be something cool to look at. Second if you have strong enough lights it could be the light source for you room

5. Jul 14, 2008 #4
    It sounds like a lava lamp.

6. Jul 14, 2008 #5

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A lava lamp with tinsel in it.

7. Jul 14, 2008 #6
  8. Jul 14, 2008 #7

neu

If you make it you should call it a "Pimp Jar". Or perhaps a "Bling Box"

9. Jul 14, 2008 #8

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or a disco fish tank.

10. Jul 14, 2008 #9
    Just don't put fish in it; that would get pretty gross pretty fast.

11. Jul 14, 2008 #10

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

abattoir lamp.

Edit:

Um, that wasn't me. My 3 year old son must have hacked into my profile. He's a little odd.

12. Jul 14, 2008 #11
    ok first you son has a wicked mind and vocabulary, and going back to my original question where should i go to get advice on this. I need to figure out how i am going to make the bubbles and how big the box should be and more.
    oh and that glitter lamp is cool but i want to go one step higher than that

13. Jul 14, 2008 #12

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the lack of helpful responses has to do with a bunch of us being stumped.

First problem. Glass sinks in water, so you need a much denser fluid if you want any floating shards of glass that are lofted by air bubbles. Either that, or use plastic mirrors, but they just don't have the same "look" unless you do a real hollywood treatment on them.

Here's a thought. air-filled shards of plastic. Due to the critical angel of reflection, they would appear to be mirrored at certain angles. It wouldn't look as "dangerous" but it would be neat. It would take some skilled construction though.

Gudu ruk.

14. Jul 14, 2008 #13
    so what type of liquid would be dense enough for the glass

15. Jul 15, 2008 #14
    i just now tried and glass floats in water

16. Jul 15, 2008 #15
    :confused:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?