1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not sure where to start

1. Dec 14, 2007 #1
    [SOLVED] Not sure where to start....

10. A playground merry-go-round is mounted on a frictionless axle, so it can only rotate
    in the horizontal plane. This object has a moment of inertia about the axle of I=50 kg m2,
    and it has a diameter of 2.2 meters. Initially it is turning at a constant rate so that it
    completes one revolution in 0.5 seconds. Standing next to it, you carefully place a block
    of mass m= 5.0 kg on the rotating table, so that it sits a distance r=1.0 m from the center.
    How long does it take to complete one rotation now?
    1. 0.5 s
    2. 0.55 s
    3. 0.59 s
    4. 0.63 s
    5. 0.67 s
    6. 0.71 s

all i have is that i found wi = 12.57 rad/s...but i don't know what to do after that?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2007 #2

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

Can you think of any quantity which will remain conserved?

4. Dec 14, 2007 #3
    The moment of inertia?

5. Dec 14, 2007 #4

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

No, because the mass distribution has changed after you put the mass on it.

If there's no external torque on a body, then the angular momentum remains the same. So, you should find the initial and final angular momenta.

6. Dec 14, 2007 #5
    so initial and final angular momentum should equal since there is no external torque on the system right?

7. Dec 14, 2007 #6

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

You said it.

8. Dec 14, 2007 #7
  9. Dec 14, 2007 #8
    I do have one more question...how do u recalculate the new moment of inertia?

10. Dec 14, 2007 #9

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

MI of the mass = mass*(dist from axis)^2
    Final MI = MI of disk + MI of the mass

11. Dec 14, 2007 #10
    okay, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?