A Month of Not Talking to People: Losing Interest in Conversation?

• Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker counted the number of people they talked to in a day and realized they had been living a solitary life for a month without noticing. They question if others have experienced the same and mention their introverted nature. They also discuss their upcoming plans to live alone and their preference for focusing on academics rather than socializing. They also mention their lack of sharing personal matters with others.
R.P.F.
I just counted the number of people I talked to today and I was kind of shocked. The people I talked to today are: someone from one of the school offices(by phone), someone from the leasing office of an apartment(by phone) and a librarian of the science library at my school. Nothing personal. Didn't talk to any of my friends. Nothing. I just realized that I have been living a life like this for a month and I didn't notice how odd this is till today. I knew I didn't talk much but it was absolutely shocking for me to realize how little I actually talk.

Has anyone ever been through this kind of periods in their lives when they either lose interest in talking to people or couldn't find anyone to talk to? It feels very strange now that I realize this. I don't think I will do anything about it though. I will just wait till I actually meet people I want to talk to.

Physics news on Phys.org
only a month?
you amateur!

I've been hermit moding for the past few years because for the most part I'm more interested in whatever textbook it is I'm studying than sitting about doing nothing with people..
I do talk to people sometimes via skype or facebook chat though.

I don't think that it's THAT unusual for the kind of person that would be on physics forums to be that way (not that I'm saying it's normal though)

What point was it I was trying to make?
It seems like I went a little astray

R.P.F. said:
I just counted the number of people I talked to today and I was kind of shocked. The people I talked to today are: someone from one of the school offices(by phone), someone from the leasing office of an apartment(by phone) and a librarian of the science library at my school. Nothing personal. Didn't talk to any of my friends. Nothing. I just realized that I have been living a life like this for a month and I didn't notice how odd this is till today. I knew I didn't talk much but it was absolutely shocking for me to realize how little I actually talk.

Has anyone ever been through this kind of periods in their lives when they either lose interest in talking to people or couldn't find anyone to talk to? It feels very strange now that I realize this. I don't think I will do anything about it though. I will just wait till I actually meet people I want to talk to.

Wow, R.P.F., I could have written those exact words 30 years ago!

I had just started college after working for a year after high school. I had been laid off from my job, I lived in an apartment by myself, and I didn't know anyone at school. I, too, went weeks and weeks of doing just the sort of things you mentioned before I noticed it, and then I thought it was really strange.

I eventually made friends.

I think it's called being an introvert. We just don't *need* a lot of human interaction the way extroverts do.

lisab said:
Wow, R.P.F., I could have written those exact words 30 years ago!

I had just started college after working for a year after high school. I had been laid off from my job, I lived in an apartment by myself, and I didn't know anyone at school. I, too, went weeks and weeks of doing just the sort of things you mentioned before I noticed it, and then I thought it was really strange.

I think it's called being an introvert. We just don't *need* a lot of human interaction the way extroverts do.

I might also live in an apartment by myself next year (which is the reason of my phone conversation with the leasing office) and I'm both excited and scared. I'm excited because I finally don't have to live in a dorm with people who play party music late at night and can focus on my math. I'm scared because it's just going to be me. Only me. I have no idea where I'm going to end up. I have no idea what is going to happen. Maybe I'm just having too much free time right now. During the semesters I bury myself in work and have very little concern about other things.

genericusrnme said:
only a month?
you amateur!

I've been hermit moding for the past few years because for the most part I'm more interested in whatever textbook it is I'm studying than sitting about doing nothing with people..

During the semesters, I still talk to people, mostly about math and academics. However, I haven't talked to anyone about personal matters/feelings in a year. I just had about $500 worth of stuff stolen but I didn't tell anyone. I just didn't want to.

R.P.F. said:
I might also live in an apartment by myself next year (which is the reason of my phone conversation with the leasing office) and I'm both excited and scared. I'm excited because I finally don't have to live in a dorm with people who play party music late at night and can focus on my math. I'm scared because it's just going to be me. Only me. I have no idea where I'm going to end up. I have no idea what is going to happen. Maybe I'm just having too much free time right now. During the semesters I bury myself in work and have very little concern about other things.

During the semesters, I still talk to people, mostly about math and academics. However, I haven't talked to anyone about personal matters/feelings in a year. I just had about $500 worth of stuff stolen but I didn't tell anyone. I just didn't want to.

Moving out on your own as a student problably isn't the best move, mainly for financial reasons.
I'd probably tell the police if I had $500 worth of stuff stolen from me :eek:

genericusrnme said:
Moving out on your own as a student problably isn't the best move, mainly for financial reasons.
I'd probably tell the police if I had $500 worth of stuff stolen from me :eek:

Such thefts happen at my school several times a year and the lost stuff is nowhere to be found.

My parents are willing to pay for the apartment. So I will work VERY VERY hard next year, hoping to produce the kind of work that matches with my rent. :frown:

R.P.F. said:

I didn't really talk to anyone until I joined the math club, which was after my first semester. I don't believe your behavior is "odd." As lisab mentioned, some of us just don't have the desire to communicate with others as much as other people do. I enjoy observing more than talking.

I would be careful about classifying behavior as "odd" or abnormal without a professional opinion, as these terms are relative and somewhat ambiguous.

I'm having a hard enough time communicating with you people in this forum. I don't think I could handle an actual confrontation with someone.

R.P.F. said:

You're totally not alone. Depending on what classes I'm taking during a semester, I may not say a word to anyone all day and not even notice.

However, at work I talk to pretty much everyone I encounter.

I think my not talking to anyone at school (depending on which classes I'm taking), has to do with me not knowing anyone. I'm not an introvert, I'm just really cynical. And bear with me, because this is a topic I've spent a lot of time thinking about... so here it goes...
I don't talk to random people because I think several things could happen: they're either not in the mood to be talked to, and I'll just annoy them, and I don't want to annoy them; I'll say something to them and they won't say anything back and I'll look foolish, which is something I hate; I'll say something to them, and for whatever reason, it becomes an awkward situation.

I wish that stuff didn't bother me, and I felt free to just chat it up with anyone, but I don't. I could start, though. I have no problem doing that. I just have that little fear of being annoying, or creating awkward situations, or looking foolish.

There was a guy in my calculus class who showed up while we were waiting outside the door. Never seen him before in my life. He came up and asked me and a friend of mine where the bathroom was. He went to the bathroom, came back, and immediately introduced himself, started talking to us, sat next to us when we went in the class, and before the class was over, this guy had made two new friends. It was amazing. He was effortlessly charismatic and friendly. There was a girl who sat in front of him who was a real B-word, and he won her over too. I want to be more like that, but these fears keep me from doing it. And besides, I'm not always in the mood to talk to anyone, let alone strangers. And I don't always have something to say. Sometimes I'm lost in thought and don't really have anything to say to anyone else.

I guess I learned a lot from that guy, and maybe I can emulate him. Anyway, I told you I thought a lot about this topic. I warned you.
My parents are willing to pay for the apartment. So I will work VERY VERY hard next year, hoping to produce the kind of work that matches with my rent.
Thank your lucky stars about that. I'm going to be getting my own apartment by myself, working part time, and going to school full time. I figure if I don't buy anything (other than food, rent, utilities), I can save about 100$ a month to put in the bank.

Dembadon said:
I would be careful about classifying behavior as "odd" or abnormal without a professional opinion, as these terms are relative and somewhat ambiguous.

I'm a bit confused. I don't think anyone said that my behavior was odd. But I think as a human being I do have the right to feel 'strange'. :tongue:

Topher925 said:
I'm having a hard enough time communicating with you people in this forum. I don't think I could handle an actual confrontation with someone.

A lot of the times confrontation could be a good thing. There are numerous times when I asked my neighbor to quiet down and that earned me some tranquility.

You might be able to handle more than you think you could, but you won't find out till you try. :cool:

leroyjenkens said:
There was a guy in my calculus class who showed up while we were waiting outside the door. Never seen him before in my life. He came up and asked me and a friend of mine where the bathroom was. He went to the bathroom, came back, and immediately introduced himself, started talking to us, sat next to us when we went in the class, and before the class was over, this guy had made two new friends. It was amazing. He was effortlessly charismatic and friendly. There was a girl who sat in front of him who was a real B-word, and he won her over too. I want to be more like that, but these fears keep me from doing it. And besides, I'm not always in the mood to talk to anyone, let alone strangers. And I don't always have something to say. Sometimes I'm lost in thought and don't really have anything to say to anyone else.

I guess I learned a lot from that guy, and maybe I can emulate him. Anyway, I told you I thought a lot about this topic. I warned you.

Thank your lucky stars about that. I'm going to be getting my own apartment by myself, working part time, and going to school full time. I figure if I don't buy anything (other than food, rent, utilities), I can save about 100$ a month to put in the bank.

If you don't want to talk to people, then you don't have to. Sometimes I think about math problems during meals. If I'm engaged in thinking and my friend join me at the table in the dining hall, then I'd tell him/her that I won't be able to talk to him/her for ten mins or so because I'm thinking. But If you do want to talk to people but are afraid to do so, there is really no better way than just gather your courage and walk up to people and start talking. I don't think you have anything to lose.

Good luck with paying for your apartment! Try not to be too harsh on yourself though.

leroyjenkens said:
There was a guy in my calculus class who showed up while we were waiting outside the door. Never seen him before in my life. He came up and asked me and a friend of mine where the bathroom was. He went to the bathroom, came back, and immediately introduced himself, started talking to us, sat next to us when we went in the class, and before the class was over, this guy had made two new friends. It was amazing. He was effortlessly charismatic and friendly. There was a girl who sat in front of him who was a real B-word, and he won her over too.

Did he wash his hands before leaving the bathroom? I'm not so sure I'd want to make friends with someone right after they left the bathroom.

If you don't want to talk to people, then you don't have to. Sometimes I think about math problems during meals. If I'm engaged in thinking and my friend join me at the table in the dining hall, then I'd tell him/her that I won't be able to talk to him/her for ten mins or so because I'm thinking. But If you do want to talk to people but are afraid to do so, there is really no better way than just gather your courage and walk up to people and start talking. I don't think you have anything to lose.
Yeah, I don't have to, but I want to be more like my friend: charismatic and outgoing. I'm also studying drama and theater and I think those traits might help in a career in acting.
Did he wash his hands before leaving the bathroom? I'm not so sure I'd want to make friends with someone right after they left the bathroom.
I don't know, but I do remember shaking his hand afterwards when he introduced himself. If he's not a hand-washer, then he's no longer my role model.
I have a friend I've had for over 20 years that isn't a hand washer. None of his family is. Every time I use their bathroom, there's no soap. I end up using their shampoo. So since I doubt they're using shampoo to wash their hands, I can only assume none of them wash their hands after they use the bathroom.

I had another friend who had soap in his bathroom, but it had cracks in it from being there so long. Every time I was at his house, that same bar of soap was there. I'm pretty sure I was the only one using it.

R.P.F. said:
I'm a bit confused. I don't think anyone said that my behavior was odd. But I think as a human being I do have the right to feel 'strange'. :tongue: ...

You said it was odd in your OP, silly. :wink:

Find some friends with common interests.

I'm definitely an introvert, and hardly hang out with people outside of school, but when I'm at school, I always have somebody to talk to, and a place to sit at lunch, because, even though I'd rather be by myself and don't necessarily need human interaction all that often, I still enjoy company, and as far as I can tell, a good amount of people enjoy my company.

But really, once you find other people who like to sit around and think about math while they're eating, you'll find some people that you can have enjoyable conversations with. In middle school, I had multiple classes with the same kid, and we spoke very briefly, never hung out, etc. Some way or the other, I noticed that he seemed really into science, and I mentioned to him that I was interested in physics... so was he. Now we're great friends because we both enjoy the same thing, and can have conversations about science in high school, which seems to be a rarity.

Going long periods of time without talking to other people isn't that odd, but in the cases where you are around other people, you mine as well make the most of it and find some people that you can talk to, otherwise you're missing out on a great part of being alive; that is, talking to other people who are alive... and having interesting conversations.

AnTiFreeze3 said:
Find some friends with common interests.

I'm definitely an introvert, and hardly hang out with people outside of school, but when I'm at school, I always have somebody to talk to, and a place to sit at lunch, because, even though I'd rather be by myself and don't necessarily need human interaction all that often, I still enjoy company, and as far as I can tell, a good amount of people enjoy my company.

But really, once you find other people who like to sit around and think about math while they're eating, you'll find some people that you can have enjoyable conversations with. In middle school, I had multiple classes with the same kid, and we spoke very briefly, never hung out, etc. Some way or the other, I noticed that he seemed really into science, and I mentioned to him that I was interested in physics... so was he. Now we're great friends because we both enjoy the same thing, and can have conversations about science in high school, which seems to be a rarity.

There are practically no people around me that are interested in the same things as I do. All of the math majors I know are non-hardcore majors who struggled through first semester of algebra and who never had topology. They kept asking me why I was constantly working so hard. None of them is interested in getting a PhD in pure math. I lost interest in talking to them.

Dembadon said:
You said it was odd in your OP, silly. :wink:

I did, didn't I? :blushing::blushing:

I work graveyard shift security. On an average day I may not talk to a single person and when I do it is most often brief and completely lacking in any sort of personal engagement. The only daily communication I am involved in is online.

When I meet people face to face I often am at a loss for what to say and talk about. My general "conversation" online has to do with politics, books, philosophy, ect. I find that when I talk to random individuals I come across at the bar or coffee house I think that their attempts at conversation are just boring and tedious. I don't care about the ball game or your work on your car. I don't watch Jersey Shore or American Idol either. Your relationship problems are neither unique nor interesting and they're somewhat depressing to boot.

I have been becoming less and less social to the point where I do not even communicate as much online anymore. I think it becomes a bit of a problem after a while. You should probably have some personal human interaction on a regular basis to avoid depression.

A bad issue I find most often at workplaces is that people tend to say it outloud that they _are_ working (oh yeah working with messengers and online gmail chatrooms). If one person does this, the one sitting next to him would do the same, then next and next, so the whole office looks like a graveyard. Today I feel pretty tired, my eyes are in pain, I can't watch and talk to people but even when I am well, I'm getting the feeling that with the current rules applied from _above_, my office sooner or later is the same as a dead tomb.

lisab said:
I think it's called being an introvert.

I put Marzena's shoes in the corner of my room. When I am home alone I look at them to make sure I am not an introvert.

Borek said:
I put Marzena's shoes in the corner of my room. When I am home alone I look at them to make sure I am not an introvert.

:biggrin:

TheStatutoryApe said:
When I meet people face to face I often am at a loss for what to say and talk about. My general "conversation" online has to do with politics, books, philosophy, ect. I find that when I talk to random individuals I come across at the bar or coffee house I think that their attempts at conversation are just boring and tedious. I don't care about the ball game or your work on your car. I don't watch Jersey Shore or American Idol either. Your relationship problems are neither unique nor interesting and they're somewhat depressing to boot.
I know what you are talking about. The reason that I don't talk to people is not because I don't need company or I'm timid, it's because there are practically no people around me that are interested in the same things as I do. So I'd rather be by myself than hang out with people I'm not interested in.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I have been becoming less and less social to the point where I do not even communicate as much online anymore. I think it becomes a bit of a problem after a while. You should probably have some personal human interaction on a regular basis to avoid depression.
I realized that I tend to worry about a lot of things when I hadn't had human interaction in a long time. The stuff I worry about may or may not happen. Even if they happen, it's going to be after two months from now. And if they happen, there is nothing I can do about it. So there is no point of worrying, but I couldn't control myself. Glad I'm leaving in two weeks to work with other people so I can get myself out of this mess.

phylotree said:
A bad issue I find most often at workplaces is that people tend to say it outloud that they _are_ working (oh yeah working with messengers and online gmail chatrooms). If one person does this, the one sitting next to him would do the same, then next and next, so the whole office looks like a graveyard. Today I feel pretty tired, my eyes are in pain, I can't watch and talk to people but even when I am well, I'm getting the feeling that with the current rules applied from _above_, my office sooner or later is the same as a dead tomb.

Maybe it's a good idea for the whole office to grab some coffee together once in a while.

Due to MCS, I can rarely spend any face-time with people. We never had a telephone when I was a kid and "chatting" on the phone was highly discouraged, when we did get one. I have carried that attitude to this day, and never call anybody unless there is something significant to say. Most of my conversations are with my wife and my dog (though he doesn't say much), and I call my father from time-to-time to see how he's doing. That's about it. I'm not an anti-social person, but I don't get to talk to many people, and I'm not going to inflict myself on others via telephone.

My grandfather had to have a telephone to keep his heavy-equipment repair business going, and listening to his end of a call would sound like "What?! OK. Be there in a couple of hours." Then he'd hang up with no niceties, like "good-bye". That wasn't his style. I am not so curt or abrupt, but I share (in part) his attitude toward telephones.

I don't talk to too many people because I just find most people annoying and boring. I hate when people try to make conversation with me, it's the most exhausting thing to pretend to be interested in talking to some stranger.

I would have a conversation with girls if I'm interested in them, but I have my girl friend so I really don't need to talk to too many other people. My family from time to time, and once in a while my room mates and other friends, but strangers are really mainly a nuisance to me.

I don't talk to too many people because I just find most people annoying and boring. I hate when people try to make conversation with me, it's the most exhausting thing to pretend to be interested in talking to some stranger.

I would have a conversation with girls if I'm interested in them, but I have my girl friend so I really don't need to talk to too many other people. My family from time to time, and once in a while my room mates and other friends, but strangers are really mainly a nuisance to me.
This connects to what I said earlier...
I wish that stuff didn't bother me, and I felt free to just chat it up with anyone, but I don't. I could start, though. I have no problem doing that. I just have that little fear of being annoying, or creating awkward situations, or looking foolish.

Some days go by when I don't talk to anybody all day. I'd like to feel free to talk to anybody, but I know there are people out there like you who just don't want to be bothered, and I respect that.

Are you really just annoyed by the people who strike up a conversation that lasts too long? Are you fine with people saying a few words and sharing a smile with you, and letting you be on your way? Because that's more along the lines of what I'd like to start doing. I'm trying to become more like that guy in my calc class that I mentioned earlier, and he'd do something like that.

If you approach most people in the right way they're happy to talk to you, your fears are unfounded. I'm really not a typical case, I just genuinely don't like most people, usually for no reason. I'm not shy, because if I have a reason to talk to someone I don't hesitate, but for the most part I'm just fairly judgmental and look down on my peers or something like that, I've never really figured out what my problem is.

You shouldn't not socialize because of fear, human beings are born to social with others, and it's easy to make friends if you want them. I'm always interested in the way other people interact and I see strangers get together and chat all the time. It's just that for me, I prefer the company of a very small group of people and I'm not very friendly to people I don't know.

dipole said:
... You shouldn't not socialize because of fear, human beings are born to social with others, and it's easy to make friends if you want them ...

Exactly. It's not that difficult to find friend friends, or at least people with common interests with whom you can talk to, if you just try. Join a community, like a math or science club, and you'll be surrounded by people with interests more or less the same as yours.

It's a little arrogant when people act as if every stranger whom they converse with is an ignorant, boring person with nothing good to say. Maybe quit chatting it up with randies at a bar if you're looking to talk about math.

Maybe the reason some of you don't talk with others often is because you go into conversations with your self-imposed superiority, expecting the other person to be stupid and boring. People catch on to that pretty quickly, and nobody appreciates it.

Besides, you're a relatively boring conversationalist if all you ever want to talk about is politics or math or science or philosophy.

I prefer the company of a very small group of people and I'm not very friendly to people I don't know.
I'm extremely friendly to people I don't know, IF they're nice. It's like there's so many a-holes in the world that when I find a person that's friendly, I'm overly nice to them to compensate.

I don't want a bunch of friends whom I need to divide my time to hang out with. I'd just like to have a bunch of people I know who I can email or when I see them around campus I can say hi, that's all. That usually only happens if I have a class with someone and afterwards we'll see each other around and say hi. People probably don't think I'm very friendly by the way I keep to myself sometimes, like in my computer science class. But I'm really outgoing in classes where socializing is required. And once people get to know me, that's when they start to like me. It's hard not to like me once you get to know me. That's how I think a lot of people are, I just don't know because I never talk to them. That's one reason why I want to start talking to people more.
Besides, you're a relatively boring conversationalist if all you ever want to talk about is politics or math or science or philosophy.
Lucky for me, I'm too ignorant to know enough about those topics to talk about them with anybody. I'll talk about whatever, though, and try to put on the table the things that I do know.

R.P.F. said:
Has anyone ever been through this kind of periods in their lives when they either lose interest in talking to people or couldn't find anyone to talk to?
For me, no.

R.P.F. said:
I will just wait till I actually meet people I want to talk to.
I think that's the best way to approach it. I don't look for people to talk to, but if one of my neighbor's happens to be outside when I am, then we talk. When I'm playing a tennis match, then my opponent and I talk (usually about tennis) during breaks. When I go to a movie with somebody, then we talk about the movie. When I'm sharing a meal with somebody, then we talk about ... whatever. And so on.

Of course, if you have something you want to say and nobody around to say it to (or that you want to say it to), then there are online forums like PF.

1. What is "A Month of Not Talking to People" and why would someone do it?

"A Month of Not Talking to People" is a challenge or experiment where an individual chooses to refrain from engaging in any verbal conversations with others for a period of one month. This could be done for various reasons such as wanting to focus on personal growth, disconnecting from social pressure, or practicing self-reflection.

2. What are the potential benefits of not talking to people for a month?

The benefits of not talking to people for a month may vary depending on the individual, but some potential benefits could include improved self-awareness, increased mindfulness, and better understanding of one's own thoughts and emotions. It could also provide a break from social expectations and allow for a deeper understanding of one's own values and priorities.

3. Are there any potential drawbacks or risks to this challenge?

As with any challenge or experiment, there are potential drawbacks or risks. For some individuals, not engaging in conversation for a month may lead to feelings of isolation or loneliness. It could also be challenging for those who rely heavily on social interactions for their well-being. It is important to carefully consider one's own mental and emotional state before attempting this challenge.

4. Can someone still communicate through non-verbal means during this challenge?

It depends on the individual's personal rules for the challenge. Some may choose to refrain from all forms of communication, including non-verbal, while others may allow for non-verbal communication such as gestures, facial expressions, and written notes. It is important to specify the rules and stick to them throughout the month.

5. Are there any long-term effects of not talking to people for a month?

The long-term effects may vary for each individual. Some may experience a deeper understanding of themselves and their relationships with others, while others may find it difficult to reconnect with people after the challenge. It is important to reflect on the experience and prioritize self-care during and after the challenge.