Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not too bright

1. Jul 14, 2006 #1
    I came across this story by chance - it's too funny not to share!

Some football player (the American kind) explains his decision not to be involved in a public-safety advertisement (nothing wrong with that in itself, of course):

(AP)

Indeed, he makes his own decisions.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2006 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Crashing one's motorcycle into a car is probably not a good decision, especially when one is not wearing a helmet. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

4. Jul 14, 2006 #3

wolram

Gold Member

He sounds like a right twit, or did he suffer brain damage? it all ways makes me cringe when i watch American chopper and you see guys wearing bandanas riding 1200cc bikes.

5. Jul 14, 2006 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Did you say "some" football player??!! :bugeye:

6. Jul 14, 2006 #5
    Probably he shouldn't be wearing a helmet while playing the game too. :biggrin:

7. Jul 14, 2006 #6
    Some faceless football player. :rofl:

8. Jul 14, 2006 #7
    It is the same with people who smoke, do drugs, eat only junk food, jump out of airplanes, box, play football, ride bulls etc.

All these things have danger in them.
    Should they be illegal? I don't think so.

As far as I am concerned it should be the drivers responsibility. By not wearing a helmet one does not endanger anyone else, so why should we care if they don't want to wear it. What is bright about that?

I would be more concerned with things like talking on the cell phone while driving. That's, according to tests, just as dangerous as drunk driving. But that is legal, and that can harm other people.

So why bother about making wearing a helmet illegal while letting people call while driving?
    What is bright about that? :confused:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  9. Jul 14, 2006 #8

Astronuc

Before or after he crashed into the car - then the pavement? :rolleyes:

10. Jul 14, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Apparently, his coach tried making the same argument when trying to get him to wear a motorcycle helmet before the crash. His response to it was that he only wears one in football because the regulations require it. :eek: No, the accident didn't cause brain damage, he was like that before the accident.

11. Jul 14, 2006 #10

berkeman

I thought exactly the same thing. Obviously the OP isn't from the US. Here is a long thread about this incident from the Thumpertalk dirtbike forums that I frequent:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384772

And here is a good bit more info about Ben and the accident:

12. Jul 14, 2006 #11

wolram

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

"I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws," Roethlisberger said. "I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me."

I seem to know a person with such confidence with plenty of digs and dents
    to prove it is ill found.

13. Jul 14, 2006 #12

SpaceTiger

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Remember kids, it can happen to him.

14. Jul 14, 2006 #13
    What, I've never heard of him. I have heard of the Steelers though, if that mitigates my offense somewhat...

15. Jul 14, 2006 #14
    Touch down...quarterback...Justin Timberlake and Janet Jackson

16. Jul 15, 2006 #15

NoTime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, I gotta ask.

How do you figure that adding 50% to the mass pushing your face into the windshield is a benefit.

Basic physics says it would make matters worse.

I looked one time and the only thing I found, related to helmet safety for motorcycles, was a comment that:
    "No study has ever been done on the merits of helmet usage with motorcycles."

So are there any studies out there? References Please.

PS: I haven't rode a bike in over 30 years, so this is curiosity.

I do notice that in auto racing they are now requiring use of the Hans Device. Apparently, because the mass of the helmet was breaking too many necks. What additional good a helmet will do when you are already strapped into a padded roll cage escapes me.

17. Jul 15, 2006 #16
    In similar news...

(AP)

18. Jul 15, 2006 #17

berkeman

First, there is a new tool called Google. Try it sometime, you might find it valuable. I googled motorcycle helmet safety study, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list for your reading pleasure:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=motorcycle+helmet+safety+study

Second, you're right that wearing an open-face helmet will not help you in a face plant crash, and probably actually makes things worse. That's why beanie helmets are so worthless. That's why most responsible street riders wear full-face helmets. The ones that fit best give you a little bit of chipmunk cheeks -- they fit nice and tight around your whole head including your face and cheekbones and forehead. In a face plant, a lot of energy is absorbed by the padding in the forehead and cheeks. And in side and rear impacts, hopefully the padding makes sense to you.

I have about 150,000 miles of performance commuting (year-round) on my sportbikes, plus many miles on the local racetracks here in Northern California. No way I'd ride without a helmet. Same for my dirtbiking and MX riding. Gotta protect you biggest asset. :rolleyes:

19. Jul 15, 2006 #18
    you can't be serious...

smash your forehead into a wall, then try it wearing a helmet.

20. Jul 15, 2006 #19

berkeman

I think he was referring to a faceplant, not a forehead smack. For the faceplant case with an open-face helmet, I think his physics is correct.

21. Jul 15, 2006 #20
    oh my mistake =P yeah i can't imagine why people even bother wearing helmets if they dont have face shields

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?