Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not understand

1. Sep 20, 2010 #1
    inductor can discharge or not??????

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2010 #2
    Yes, and inductor can discharge.

4. Sep 20, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Well, at least in English, the term "charge" refers to electric charge storage, or electrical potential energy storage (like in a battery). So you would charge and discharge a capacitor or battery, for example.

The energy stored in an inductor is magnetic in nature, so the terms charge and discharge would not normally be used, I believe. I'm not sure what alternate term might be used with an inductor, as you store and release the magnetic energy...

5. Sep 21, 2010 #4
    Hey Berke,
    When I was a kid, I used to put batteries to most anything. I tried tried it on a flourescent ballast I had salvaged. It "felt" like it discharged >o_O<

- Mike

6. Sep 22, 2010 #5
    :biggrin: That made me chuckle a little Mike...

7. Sep 22, 2010 #6
    Superconducting magnets used in MRI's are essentially large zero-resistance inductances running in persistent mode (large dc current, shorted coil). Even though they have a large inductance, the L/R time constant is extremely long. These inductances can be discharged into external resistances under controlled conditions. Sometimes the magnet coil can absorb its own stored energy under certain self-discharge modes.

Bob S

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook