Can an Inductor Discharge? Exploring the Mechanics of Inductors

In summary, an inductor can store and release magnetic energy, but the terms "charge" and "discharge" are typically used for electric charge storage. However, under certain conditions, an inductor can be discharged into external resistances.
chahya
inductor can discharge or not?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes, and inductor can discharge.

chahya said:
inductor can discharge or not?

Well, at least in English, the term "charge" refers to electric charge storage, or electrical potential energy storage (like in a battery). So you would charge and discharge a capacitor or battery, for example.

The energy stored in an inductor is magnetic in nature, so the terms charge and discharge would not normally be used, I believe. I'm not sure what alternate term might be used with an inductor, as you store and release the magnetic energy...

Hey Berke,
When I was a kid, I used to put batteries to most anything. I tried tried it on a flourescent ballast I had salvaged. It "felt" like it discharged >o_O<

- Mike

Mike_In_Plano said:
Hey Berke,
When I was a kid, I used to put batteries to most anything. I tried tried it on a flourescent ballast I had salvaged. It "felt" like it discharged >o_O<

- Mike

:biggrin: That made me chuckle a little Mike...

Superconducting magnets used in MRI's are essentially large zero-resistance inductances running in persistent mode (large dc current, shorted coil). Even though they have a large inductance, the L/R time constant is extremely long. These inductances can be discharged into external resistances under controlled conditions. Sometimes the magnet coil can absorb its own stored energy under certain self-discharge modes.

Bob S

1. Can an inductor discharge on its own?

Yes, an inductor can discharge on its own through a process called self-induction. This occurs when the current flowing through the inductor changes, causing a magnetic field to collapse and creating a voltage that opposes the original current.

2. How does an inductor discharge?

An inductor discharges by releasing the stored energy in its magnetic field. This can happen through self-induction or when the inductor is connected to a circuit with a different current or voltage.

3. What factors affect the rate of discharge in an inductor?

The rate of discharge in an inductor depends on the inductance value, the resistance in the circuit, and the amount of current flowing through the inductor. A higher inductance value or lower resistance will result in a slower discharge rate.

4. Can an inductor discharge too quickly?

Yes, an inductor can discharge too quickly if the circuit has low resistance or if there is a sudden change in current. This can cause a phenomenon known as inductive kick, which can damage the circuit or nearby components.

5. How is the energy from an inductor discharge used in electronic devices?

The energy from an inductor discharge can be used in electronic devices for various purposes, such as powering motors, generating high voltage pulses, and filtering out unwanted signals. Inductors are also commonly used in power supplies and audio equipment to store and regulate energy.