Not Understanding Isomorphism. Please help.

• Thread starter MidgetDwarf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Isomorphism
In summary, the individual is struggling in their linear algebra class due to poor teaching and a lack of understanding in isomorphism. They have tried various methods to improve their understanding, but are still struggling with the concept. They are unsure of how to prove the properties of one-to-one and onto, and need clarification on how to solve the given example.
MidgetDwarf
I am having problems in my linear algebra class. The class is taught rather poorly. There is only but 3 students left. The instructor is of no help. I tried reading my txtbook and following a few videos (even went to office hours). However I am not understanding Isomorphism.

I know that a transformation from V to W is a linear transformation from a vector space V to a vector space W, when V maps district vectors into W. (Thinking of a function that is 1 to 1)

@and onto if every vector in W is the image of at least one vector in V.I am using Anton Elementary Linear algebra txt.

From my understanding. The first property is to prove 1 to 1. The second is to prove onto?

There is an example in my book. P 466.

Let V= R^inffinty. Be the sequence space in which u1, u2,..., un,... is an infinite sequence of Real numbers..

Consider the linear "sshifting operators" on V defined by

T1 (u1, u2,..., un,...)=(0, u1, u2,...un,... )

T2 (u1, u2,..., un,...)=(u2, u3,...un,...)

(a) Show that T1 is one to one but not not onto.

what am I supposed to do? I am lost.

Maybe?

Let a=a1,a2,..., an,... and b=b1, b2,..., bn,... be a sequence of infinite real numbers in V.

T1 (a+b)=(0, a1+b1, a2+b2,...an+bn,...)

T1 (a)+T(b)=(0, a1, a2,...an,...)+(0, b1, b2,...bn,...)

Which equals the previous line? How would I show that it fails for multp. By scalar? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be confusing the terms "one-to-one", "onto" and "linear". They are very distinct.

MidgetDwarf said:
Let V= R^inffinty. Be the sequence space in which u1, u2,..., un,... is an infinite sequence of Real numbers..

Consider the linear "sshifting operators" on V defined by

T1 (u1, u2,..., un,...)=(0, u1, u2,...un,... )

T2 (u1, u2,..., un,...)=(u2, u3,...un,...)

(a) Show that T1 is one to one but not not onto.

what am I supposed to do? I am lost.

Maybe?

Let a=a1,a2,..., an,... and b=b1, b2,..., bn,... be a sequence of infinite real numbers in V.

T1 (a+b)=(0, a1+b1, a2+b2,...an+bn,...)

T1 (a)+T(b)=(0, a1, a2,...an,...)+(0, b1, b2,...bn,...)

Which equals the previous line? How would I show that it fails for multp. By scalar? Thanks

Now you just checked additivity, which is not what they asked you to do at all. Multiplication by scalars will be satisfied to, it won't fail. The map is linear, but that's not what they asked you.

You need to check that ##T_1## is one-to-one which means that you need to check that if ##T(\mathbf{v}) = T(\mathbf{w})##, then ##\mathbf{v} = \mathbf{w}##. So assume that ##T(\mathbf{v}) = T(\mathbf{w})## and write out what that means.

For not being onto, you need to find some vector ##\mathbf{v}\in \mathbb{R}^\infty## that is not in the image of ##T_1##. So describe the image of ##T_1## and try to find some vector not in there?

Still a bit confused.(u1, u2, .., un,..).=(0, u1, u2,..., un,...) ? For T (v)=T (w)

Pick 1,1,...,1,.. When I plug it in. I get a distinct image?

Not onto: because there is an element zero in W not in V?

Sorry about the idiocy, I'm preaty much on my own.

Let ##\mathbf{v} = (v_1,v_2,v_3,...)## and ##\mathbf{w} = (w_1,w_2,w_3,...)##. You want to prove that ##\mathbf{v} = \mathbf{w}##. This means that you need to prove that ##v_1 = u_1##, ##v_2 = u_2##, ...

So assume that ##T(v_1,v_2,v_3,...) = T(w_1,w_2,w_3,...)##. Can you do something with this?

For onto, consider

T(u_1,...,u_2)=(0,u_1,...). Can a point (1,v_1,v_2,...) be part of the image?

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that refers to the structural similarity between two objects. In simpler terms, it means that two objects may appear different, but they have the same underlying structure.

2. Why is understanding isomorphism important?

Understanding isomorphism is important because it allows us to see connections and patterns between seemingly unrelated concepts. It also helps in solving complex problems by breaking them down into simpler, isomorphic parts.

3. How does isomorphism relate to science?

In science, isomorphism is commonly used to understand and explain the relationships between different biological, chemical, and physical systems. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as computer science, where it is used in data analysis and algorithm design.

4. What are some common misconceptions about isomorphism?

One common misconception is that isomorphism means two objects are exactly the same. In reality, isomorphism only refers to the underlying structure of the objects, not their physical appearance. Another misconception is that isomorphic systems always have the same function or purpose, which is not always the case.

5. How can I better understand isomorphism?

To better understand isomorphism, it is important to practice identifying and comparing the underlying structures of different objects or systems. You can also read about real-life examples of isomorphism and its applications in various fields. Seeking help from a teacher or mentor can also be beneficial in understanding this concept.