1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Not your avg engineering vs. math question

1. Jul 26, 2009 #1
    I'll keep it short and to the point.

I'm 28, I've been in and out of school since HS graduation in 99, never felt there was a purpose to school, I went because I enjoyed learning but could care less about grades, It wasn't until I took Cal I and II that I was actually excited and intrigued. I've always wanted to be an engineer, problem is I've wanted to be a lot of things.
    The point is, for those 10 years of on and off addiction binges to school, my financial aid will most likely run out if I pursue engineering, I've only taken up to Cal II, zero engineering classes. It would take at least 4 years from this fall or spring for engineering. It would only take two years or 4 semesters (16 or 17 hrs per semester) for math.
    I've heard of ppl running out of financial aid, and I don't want to be one of those people.
    What do u think?

By the way, I got a B in Cal I and an A in Cal II.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2009 #2
    take out a loan, money should not be an issue, consider it an investment.

4. Jul 27, 2009 #3
    Well if you are really serious about becoming an engineer, you should go and do it. However, I can't really answer your question on finances, for that you should talk to whoever is giving you financial aid. Also you could consider getting a student loan from the bank/a part time job to help you get through school and if you still have money trouble you could always do school part time. It will take longer but it'll be easier to pay for your schooling that way if you lack funds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook