1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation for derivatives

1. Mar 30, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I cannot seem to find my textbook and we just started derivatives. Can anyone tell me when I would use the notation dy/dx as opposed to something like f'(x)??

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2
    f'(x) is just function notation. If you're given an f(x), it's equally correct to use f'(x) or d(f(x))/dx, for example. In the case of f'(x), the derivative with respect to x is implied.

4. Mar 30, 2008 #3
    So it wouldn't ever matter which one I use? I could use both?

5. Mar 31, 2008 #4
    You should stick with one for consistency. There's nothing wrong with using y' over dy/dx, or f '(x) over d(f(x))/dx; Just be consistent.

6. Mar 31, 2008 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Not loosely in a sense.

For example, if you have

[itex]y=x^2[/itex]
    You would write [itex]\frac{dy}{dx}[/itex] or [itex]y'[/itex] = [itex]2x[/itex] and NOT [itex]f'(x)=2x[/itex]

7. Mar 31, 2008 #6

nicksauce

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The dy/dx notation is nice when you're actually manipulating these as if they're actually numbers. It's a physicist's favorite trick (but a mathematician's worst nightmare). I for one am not a fan of f'(x), except when there are higher order derivatives involved.

8. Mar 31, 2008 #7
    I'd get used to both forms, as they seem to turn up alternately, at least in my experience.

For example the quotient rule:

Leibniz notation:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left (\frac{u}{v}\right ) = \frac{\frac{du}{dx}\cdot v-u\cdot\frac{dv}{dx}}{v^2}[/tex]

Newtonian notation:

[tex]h'(x) = \frac{f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)}{[g(x)]^2}[/tex]

or in shorthand notation:

[tex]h'=\frac {f'\cdot g-f\cdot g'}{g^2}[/tex]

You might see something similar as well which is a Newtonian notation:

[tex]\dot{h}(x)=\dot{f}(x)+\dot{g}(x) \longrightarrow \ddot{h}(x)=\ddot{f}(x)+\ddot{g}(x)[/tex]

or

[tex]h\,\dot{}\,(x)=f\,\dot{}\,(x)+g\,\dot{}\,(x) \longrightarrow h\,\ddot{}\,(x) = f\,\ddot{}\,(x) + g\,\ddot{}\,(x)[/tex]

occasionally but these aren't used very often.

Which is the same as saying:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}(u + v)=\frac{du}{dx}+\frac{dv}{dx}\longrightarrow \frac{d^2}{dx^2}(u + v)=\frac{d^2u}{dx^2}+\frac{d^2v}{dx^2}[/tex]

in Leibniz notation.

They look more complicated between forms sometimes, but once you get the idea they're pretty obvious.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?