Notation for Vectors in Different Bases

In summary, there is often confusion between using the same notation for a vector and a column vector in different bases. Some mathematicians use x and x' to distinguish between the two, while others use xT and x'T. Additionally, some textbooks use bold notation for the vector and x or x' for its components in a specific basis to avoid confusion. Ultimately, it is important to clearly distinguish between these two types of vectors in order to avoid confusion.
Philip Wood
Gold Member
What I usually mean by a vector, x, is a quantity which can be written (using Einstein summation convention) as xi ei = xi' ei' and so on. In other words the scalar components {xi} change according to the set of base vectors {ei} I choose.

But occasionally, in the context of changing bases (e.g. when dealing with rotations on Euclidian space), I want to refer to the column vector [x1, x2...]T, and to the column vector [x1', x2'...]T. It would be very confusing to use x again as the name for anyone of these column vectors.

Is there any agreement as to different notations for a vector and for a column vector which expresses that vector on a particular basis. [I mean compact notations which don't show individual components.]

Physics news on Phys.org
For matrices I've seen notations like
[tex]A_\mathscr{B}[/tex] or [tex][A]_\mathscr{B}[/tex]
for something like "the matrix representation of the linear form A with respect to basis [itex]\mathscr{B}[/itex]".

uh.. why don't you use x for one vector and x' for the rotated vector?
I think they often use this in the notation of 4-vectors, when doing a rotation.

CompuChip Thank you. I'd not seen this.

BruceW Thanks, but the transforms I'm concerned with are passive ones: the same vector expressed on different bases. If I use x and x'to distinguish the column vectors which give the components of the vectors on the two bases, what would I then use for the base-independent vector (what I called x in my original post)? That's what I'm concerned about, notation which distinguishes these two different types of vector, not notation which distinguishes one column vector of components from a column vector of components on a different basis.

xT and x'T ?

(as at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transpose" )

Last edited by a moderator:
I was talking about:
[tex] x = x^i \ e_i = {x^i}^\prime \ {e_i}^\prime = x^\prime [/tex]
If you're asking for a notation for just the components of a vector (without the base vectors), then I would just use: [itex]x_i[/itex] or [itex]x_i'[/itex]
The index is left over, like a dummy variable, so it is a notation which refers to anyone of the components.

Last edited:
I had a look in my textbook, and it says this:

"Thus, we use x and x' to denote different column matrices which, in different bases ei and ei' represent the same vector x. In many texts, however, this distinction is not made and x (rather than x) is equated to the corresponding column matrix ; if we regard x as the geometrical entity, however, this can be misleading and so we explicitly make the distinction."

So I guess in my textbook, they use bold for the actual vector, and x or x' to mean the components of the vector in a particular basis.

1. What is the purpose of using different bases for vector notation?

Using different bases for vector notation allows for easier representation and manipulation of vectors in different coordinate systems, making it easier to solve problems in different contexts.

2. How do I convert a vector from one base to another?

To convert a vector from one base to another, you can use a transformation matrix that maps the coordinates from one base to the other. This matrix can be obtained by using the basis vectors of each base as columns.

3. What is the difference between Cartesian and polar coordinates for vector notation?

Cartesian coordinates use a system of x, y, and z coordinates to represent a vector's magnitude and direction, while polar coordinates use a radius and angle to represent a vector's magnitude and direction. Both systems have their own advantages and are used in different contexts.

4. Can I mix different bases in vector equations?

Yes, you can mix different bases in vector equations as long as you convert all vectors to the same base before performing any operations. This ensures that all vectors are in the same coordinate system and can be properly added, subtracted, or multiplied.

5. How do I know which base to use for a specific problem?

The base to use for a specific problem depends on the context and coordinate system involved. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem to determine which base is most appropriate for representing the given vectors.