Vector Space Span and Linear Independence in Z_2 Field

In summary, the question asks for the number of vectors in the span of a linearly independent subset S of a vector space V over the finite field Z_2. The field Z_2 consists of the integers modulo 2, and all linear combinations of the vectors in S are finite. By considering the possible linear combinations for sets with one, two, and three vectors, we can see that the number of vectors in span(S) follows the pattern of 2^n, where n is the number of vectors in S. This can also be proven using mathematical induction.
JG89

Homework Statement

Let [tex] S = \{ u_1, u_2, ... , u_n \} [/tex] be a linearly independent subset of a vector space V over the field [tex] Z_2 [/tex]. How many vectors are there in span(S)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know what the field [tex] Z_2 [/tex] is. It's not explained in the text either. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could it mean the field of integers, addition and multiplication modulo 2?

It's the integers modulo 2. All of the integers are mapped to 0 or 1, depending on whether the remainder in division by 2 is 0 or 1. Z2 is an example of a finite field. The set of linear combinations of the vectors in S is therefore finite.

Possible linear combinations of S:

0*u_1 + 0 *u_2 + ... + 0*u_n
1*u_1 + 0*u_2 + 0*u_3 ... + 0*u_n
1*u_1 + 1*u_2 +0*u_3 + ... + 0* u_n

And so on. Is there a fast way to do this?

Yes. Work up to it. If your set S has one vector in it, how many vectors would be in span(S)? Answer: 2
If S has two vectors, how many vectors in span(S).
If S has three vectors, how many vectors in span(S).
You should soon see a pattern.

Ah, I see. I've wrote out possible linear combinations, and it seems like span(S) will have 2^n vectors.

Thanks Mark!

For the question, should I write out a formal proof for this? Or is it sufficient enough to write out the linear combination's of a set with one vector, then the linear combination's of a set with two vectors, then the linear combination's of a set with three vectors, then just say that the pattern is 2^n where n is the amount of vectors.

That would probably work, but if you really wanted to be rigorous about it, you could prove it by math induction, which would be pretty simple in this problem.

OTOH, if all you need to do is to answer the question, not prove it, a simple explanation would be fine. You might want to check with your prof to see what he/she is looking for.

1. What is notation in algebra?

Notation in algebra refers to the symbols and conventions used to represent mathematical expressions, equations, and formulas. It helps to communicate mathematical ideas and concepts in a concise and standardized way.

2. Why is notation important in algebra?

Notation is important in algebra because it allows us to write and manipulate complex mathematical expressions efficiently and accurately. It also helps to make mathematical concepts and relationships more clear and understandable.

3. What are some common notation symbols used in algebra?

Some common notation symbols used in algebra include letters to represent variables (e.g. x, y, z), operators such as addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (* or ×), and division (/ or ÷), and mathematical symbols such as parentheses ( ), brackets [ ], and exponents (^).

4. How do I read and interpret algebraic notation?

To read and interpret algebraic notation, start by identifying the meaning of each individual symbol and how they are connected. Remember to follow the order of operations (PEMDAS) when evaluating expressions. It may also be helpful to substitute different values for the variables to better understand the expression.

5. Can I create my own notation in algebra?

Yes, you can create your own notation in algebra as long as it is consistent and clearly defined. However, it is important to use commonly accepted notation whenever possible to avoid confusion when communicating with others.