What are the different interpretations of differentials in calculus?

In summary, it is important to understand that the notation "dy/dx" is used to represent the derivative of a function at a particular point in time. This notation is not always logically rigorous, but it can be useful in certain situations.
noslen
Notation of derivative?? help

Where does dy/dx come from I know what it means but is this right

y=x^2+2x

dy=2x*dx+2*dx

dy/dx=(2x*dx+2*dx)/dx

dy/dx=2x+2

Im not sure if this is right can someone please explian thanks :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
noslen said:
Where does dy/dx come from I know what it means but is this right

y=x^2+2x

dy=2x*dx+2*dx

dy/dx=(2x*dx+2*dx)/dx

dy/dx=2x+2

Im not sure if this is right can someone please explian thanks :confused:

if [tex]y=f(x)[/tex]:
[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \left(\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}\right)[/tex]

Differentiating a function & dividing through the differential of the variable = Computing the derivative.

Daniel.

So is this correct Daniel?

Yes, it is, but not mathematically rigurous to divide through "dx", just as if it was a number. However, it leads to correct results (just like separation of variables in a I-st order ODE).

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Yes, it is, but not mathematically rigurous to divide through "dx", just as if it was a number. However, it leads to correct results (just like separation of variables in a I-st order ODE).

Daniel.
In my class we were shown rigourously how to do it and if we ever used something like "dy = 2x dx" then we were told only ever to have it in quotes like so to show it wasn't really true.

We were shown how to deal with all situations while leaving it in its rigorous form and what all the steps in between were when we made things like substitutions for integration. I actually found a bit of a struggle on this forum to deal with reading things like the above statements. Guess it's how you teach it, but I've found people at university to get very confused about issues generally around 'infinitesimals' when the lax notation is used.

The really confusing thing is that one may eventually learn that "dy = 2x dx" is a perfectly rigorous notation. :frown:

Specifically, it's the statement that the two differential forms "dy" and "2x dx" are equal on the curve given by the equation y = x^2. (A differential form is, loosely speaking, something you can integrate)

Hurkyl said:
The really confusing thing is that one may eventually learn that "dy = 2x dx" is a perfectly rigorous notation. :frown:

Specifically, it's the statement that the two differential forms "dy" and "2x dx" are equal on the curve given by the equation y = x^2. (A differential form is, loosely speaking, something you can integrate)
Yes there are several ways to think of something like
y=x^2
hence
dy=2x dx
1) as an "abuse of notation" which gives correct answers but is not logically sound.
2) where dx means difference instead of derivative and the equals is approximate and holds for small dx
dx=(f(x+dx)-f(x))=f'(x)dx+f''(x)dx^2/2+f'''(x)dx^3/6+...~f'(x)dx
3) where 2x dx and dy are differential forms
then dy is defined as dy=f'(x)dx but the dx is not really the differential of x in a sense it is another variable. That is it is just some number not an infinitessimal.
4) in nonstandard analysis the tools for working with infinitessimal quantities is developed. In this frame work dx and dy are actually infinitessimal and their quotient if defined and f'(x)=dy/dx is really a fraction of infinitessimals.

It is quite confusing how a student in intro to calc should interpet differentials.

1. What is the notation for a derivative?

The most common notation for a derivative is f'(x), read as "f prime of x". Other notations include dy/dx, Df(x), and ∂f/∂x.

2. How is the derivative of a function calculated?

The derivative of a function is calculated using the limit definition of a derivative. This involves finding the slope of a tangent line to the function at a specific point, and taking the limit as the distance between two points approaches zero.

3. What does the notation "dx" mean in the derivative?

The "dx" in the derivative notation represents the independent variable, or the variable with respect to which the derivative is taken. It is often seen as a reminder that the derivative is calculated with respect to that variable.

4. Can derivatives be negative?

Yes, derivatives can be negative. A negative derivative indicates that the function is decreasing at that point, while a positive derivative indicates that the function is increasing. A derivative of zero means that the function is neither increasing nor decreasing at that point.

5. How is the derivative notation used in real-life applications?

The derivative notation is used in various fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, to model and analyze rates of change. It can be used to calculate velocities, accelerations, and growth rates, among other things.