What is the notation for referencing an ODE with different parameter values?

In summary, when referencing a differential equation with different values plugged in, you can use the notation ##F(x,y(x),y'(x))## or ##F_a(x,y(x),y'(x))## for discrete parameters, and ##F(x,y(x),y'(x),a)## for continuous parameters. In statistics, the notation ##f(x|a,b)## can also be used to signify a general function of x with parameters a and b.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Suppost I had some differential equation, say $$y'(x) + axy(x) +7a =0$$ where ##y=f(x)## and ##a## is some parameter. How do you reference this differential equation with different ##a## values are plugged in? Would I say $$ F(x,y;a) \equiv y'(x) + axy(x) +7a =0$$ and then when referencing an ##a## value of ##12## simply say ##F(x,y;12)##?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The LHS is a specific instance of ##F(x,y(x),y'(x))## if you want to characterize it by a key parameter, then you write ##F_a(x,y,y')## for discrete parameters, and ##F(x,y,y',a)=0## for continuous parameters. There is no functional difference between a parameter that is allowed to vary and any other kind of variable.

I don't think there is a universal notation though - define your own. i.e. if F is defined to be y'+axy+7a then F(a) is enough to specify the particular F you mean.

Likes member 428835
Thanks a ton! This is all I wanted!

I forgot one: in statistics there is a standard notation ... ##f(x|a,b)## signifies a general function of x with parameters a and b, which have to be specified.
The pipe character "|" reads "given" and you also see it in conditional probability statements.

1. What is the notation used for an ODE?

The most common notation used for an Ordinary Differential Equation (ODE) is y' = f(x, y), where y represents the dependent variable, x represents the independent variable, and f(x, y) represents the function that describes the relationship between the two variables.

2. What does the prime symbol in an ODE represent?

The prime symbol (') in an ODE represents the derivative of the dependent variable with respect to the independent variable. In other words, y' represents the rate of change of y with respect to x.

3. How are initial conditions represented in an ODE?

Initial conditions are represented by the values of the dependent and independent variables at a specific point, usually denoted as x0 and y0. These values are used to find a particular solution to the ODE.

4. What is the difference between an explicit and implicit ODE?

An explicit ODE is one where the dependent variable y is explicitly expressed as a function of the independent variable x, such as y = x^2. In an implicit ODE, y is not explicitly expressed in terms of x, such as x^2 + y^2 = 1. Implicit ODEs are more difficult to solve as they require advanced techniques.

5. How do you solve an ODE?

The method used to solve an ODE depends on its type and complexity. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using power series. In some cases, an ODE may not have an analytic solution, in which case numerical methods can be used to approximate a solution.