1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Notation Question

1. Apr 17, 2005 #1
    Let's say I have a set {A}. How do I denote the largest member of that set?
    For example, let's say I have a solution set of discrete values. How do I denote the largest solution?

Basically, with any set, how do I denote the largest member of that set? What symbol/s do I use !?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What's wrong with something like [tex]max(A)[/tex]??

4. Apr 17, 2005 #3
    That is the formal/accepted way of expressing it (the largest member of a set), right?

5. Apr 17, 2005 #4

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Do maximums differ from least upper bounds (supremums)? The definitions I found didn't clear this up. Edit: Eh, because I was going to say supremum.

6. Apr 17, 2005 #5
    AFAIK, the maximum of a set must necessarily be a member of the set as well. So for example, {1 - 1/n; n a natural} has a supremum, but no maximum.

7. Apr 17, 2005 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Muzza is absolutely correct.

given a set (presumably of real numbers) there is no reason for that set to even have a greatest element, even if it is bounded above (ie all elements are less than some constant K). The sup is the smallest such K that bounds them above, and this is the max if and only if K is an element of the set.

Note, that this only applies to infinite sets. Any finite set of points must have a maxmimum.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook