Proving the Frequency Response of Notch Filter F(s)

In summary: If you're trying to find F* F, then you multiply the numerator by its complex conjugate, and the denominator by its complex conjugate. After you do that, it should be obvious (using trick #1) how to get the 1 out...OK! I think I got it! after multiplying the whole thing with its conjugate the denominator becomes the whole thing squared! and the numerator becomes the whole thing squared minus A^2-B^2!!WOW! I really don't know what to say man...I am really grateful! Thanks for your help and your time!OK! I think I got it! after multiplying the whole thing with its conjugate the denominator becomes the whole thing squared! and the numerator becomes the
JI567

Homework Statement

Question is when

F(s) = ## \frac {(s)^2+2*ζa*Wn*s+(Wn)^2)} {(s)^2+2*ζb*Wn*s+(Wn)^2)} \ ##

prove that ## \ {|F(iw)|}^2 \ ## = 1 - ## \frac {4(ζb^2-ζa^2) \tilde w} {(1-\tilde w)^2+4ζb^2 \tilde w} \ ##

when ## \tilde w \ ## = ## (\frac {w} {Wn} )^2 \ ##

Homework Equations

F(s) is the equation of a notch filter. |F(iw)| is the magnitude of its frequency response.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have replaced s by iw in the F(s) equation but ended up with something weird which doesn't make sense. Can someone please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you strayed somewhere. Show your calculations.

BvU said:
I think you strayed somewhere. Show your calculations.

F(iw) = ## \frac {(iw)^2+2ζaWn*wi+Wn^2} {(iw)^2+2ζbWn*wi+Wn^2} \ ##

= ## \frac {-w^2+2ζaWn*wi+Wn^2} {-w^2+2ζbWn*wi+Wn^2} \ ##

= ## \frac {Wn^2-w^2+2ζaWn*wi} {Wn^2-w^2+2ζbWn*wi} \ ## x ## \frac {Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi} {Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi} \ ##

= ## \frac {Wn^4-2Wn^2w^2+w^4-2ζbWn^2wi+2ζbWn*w^2i+2ζaWn^3wi-2ζaWn*w^3i+2ζaζbWn^2w^2} {Wn^4-2Wn^2w^2+w^4-2ζbWn^2wi+2ζbWn*w^2i+2ζbWn^3wi-2ζbWn*w^3i+2ζb^2Wn^2w^2} \ ##

After this I stopped doing, because it makes no sense...Can you help now?!

Yep. You want ##\left |F(j\omega)\right |^2.\ ## So multiply ##F(j\omega)## with its complex conjugate !

In a complicated system like this, you need to look for tricks.

Trick #1:
$$\frac{A+Bas}{A+Bbs}=1-\frac{B(b-a)s}{A+Bbs}$$
Trick #2:
$$(A+B)(A-B)=A^2-B^2$$

Chet

BvU said:
Yep. You want ##\left |F(j\omega)\right |^2.\ ## So multiply ##F(j\omega)## with its complex conjugate !

If you look properly you will see I have already done that...the 3rd step incase you still can't see it...

Chestermiller said:
In a complicated system like this, you need to look for tricks.

Trick #1:
$$\frac{A+Bas}{A+Bbs}=1-\frac{B(b-a)s}{A+Bbs}$$
Trick #2:
$$(A+B)(A-B)=A^2-B^2$$

Chet

I get how I am supposed to use the trick 1...but its the trick 2 I can't really figure out how to use wisely...I tried to use trick 2 to replace Wn^2-w^2 but doesn't fit there...what do you use trick 2 for?

JI567 said:
If you look properly you will see I have already done that...the 3rd step incase you still can't see it...
I see you multiplying with something that has a ##\zeta_b## in the numerator.

##
\frac {Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi} {Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi} \
##

That's not the complex conjugate, that is 1

By the way, TeX x is \times : ##\times##

Last edited:
JI567 said:
I get how I am supposed to use the trick 1...but its the trick 2 I can't really figure out how to use wisely...I tried to use trick 2 to replace Wn^2-w^2 but doesn't fit there...what do you use trick 2 for?
It's applied on the denominator.
$$(Wn^2-w^2+2ζbWn*wi)(Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi)=?$$
Chet

Last edited:
BvU said:
I see you multiplying with something that has a ##\zeta_b## in the numerator.

##
\frac {Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi} {Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi} \
##

That's not the complex conjugate, that is 1

By the way, TeX x is \times : ##\times##

That's because the complex term "i" is with it? don't you see I changed the sign infront of the "i" term in the numerator? As far as I know for any positive complex number x+iy, its conjugate is x-yi, so just changing the sign. Don't know what type of complex number did you study

JI567 said:
That's because the complex term "i" is with it? don't you see I changed the sign infront of the "i" term in the numerator? As far as I know for any positive complex number x+iy, its conjugate is x-yi, so just changing the sign. Don't know what type of complex number did you study
Yes but you also changed ##\zeta_a## to ##\zeta_b##, effectively writing 1 instead of ##F^*(j\omega)##.

I studied the usual complex numbers. Long ago.
In those days ##|{a+bi\over c+di}|^2 = {a+bi\over c+di}\times {a-bi\over c-di}##, and not ##{a+bi\over c+di}\times {a-di\over c-di}##,

BvU said:
Yes but you also changed ##\zeta_a## to ##\zeta_b##, effectively writing 1 instead of ##F^*(j\omega)##.

I studied the usual complex numbers. Long ago.
In those days ##|{a+bi\over c+di}|^2 = {a+bi\over c+di}\times {a-bi\over c-di}##, and not ##{a+bi\over c+di}\times {a-di\over c-di}##,
BvU,

I had the impression that he was not trying to multiply by the complex conjugate yet. I think he was just trying to multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator to get a real number in the denominator.

Chet

Dear JI, please don't worry. I've been there, done the same thing.

Dear Chet, in post #6 JI claims otherwise. And: The system isn't all that complicated. ##F^* \times F## brings us a long way towards the known ultimate expression.

BvU said:
Dear JI, please don't worry. I've been there, done the same thing.

Dear Chet, in post #6 JI claims otherwise. And: The system isn't all that complicated. ##F^* \times F## brings us a long way towards the known ultimate expression.
He may have claimed otherwise, but that's not what it looks like to me.

Chet

JI's move now. I hope we haven't lost him/her.

BvU said:
JI's move now. I hope we haven't lost him/her.
By the way, I like your approach quite a bit.

Chet

Hey, this is PF, not a Mutual admiration society ! ;)

Likes Chestermiller
Chestermiller said:
It's applied on the denominator.
$$(Wn^2-w^2+2ζbWn*wi)(Wn^2-w^2-2ζbWn*wi)=?$$
Chet

hmmm so that makes my denominator have A^2-B^2, but it should really be A+Bbs...also how do you get the 1 in the numerator? I mean in the denominator i multiply with denominators complex conjuguate? what about numerator? is it going to be multiplied by numerator complex conjugate or denominator complex conjuguate?

BvU said:
Hey, this is PF, not a Mutual admiration society ! ;)

Hey man, do you know anything about plotting bode magnitudes or step response plots?

JI567 said:
hmmm so that makes my denominator have A^2-B^2, but it should really be A+Bbs...also how do you get the 1 in the numerator? I mean in the denominator i multiply with denominators complex conjuguate? what about numerator? is it going to be multiplied by numerator complex conjugate or denominator complex conjuguate?
If you're trying to find F* F, then you multiply the numerator by its complex conjugate, and the denominator by its complex conjugate. After you do that, it should be obvious (using trick #1) how to get the 1 out front.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
If you're trying to find F* F, then you multiply the numerator by its complex conjugate, and the denominator by its complex conjugate. After you do that, it should be obvious (using trick #1) how to get the 1 out front.

Chet

What do you mean by F*F though? I just need to find |F(iw)|^2...

JI567 said:
What do you mean by F*F though? I just need to find |F(iw)|^2...
Yes. That's what I meant. You are supposed to multiply F(iw) by its complex conjugate F(-iw). I used F* to represent F(-iw).

Chet

Are we back to post #4 now ?

Hey man, do you know anything about plotting bode magnitudes or step response plots?
Hey man, eeeeeverything. But first we are going to work out $$
\frac {Wn^2-w^2+2ζaWn*wi} {Wn^2-w^2+2ζbWn*wi} $$ times its complex conjugate, just like they taught us with the usual ordinary complex numbers to evalulate the modulus squared. And by posting the work you can show off how you deftly extract the 1 so the characteristic shape of this notch filter frequency plot is prominent, even in the expression.

1. What is a notch filter and what does it do?

A notch filter is a type of electronic filter that is designed to selectively block or attenuate a specific range of frequencies, while allowing all other frequencies to pass through. It is used to eliminate or reduce unwanted signals or noise in a circuit.

2. What is the frequency response of a notch filter?

The frequency response of a notch filter is a graph that shows the relationship between the input frequency and the output amplitude of the filter. It typically has a deep notch or dip at the center frequency, indicating that this frequency is being attenuated, while the frequencies on either side are allowed to pass through with minimal attenuation.

3. How do you prove the frequency response of a notch filter?

The frequency response of a notch filter can be proved by measuring the input and output amplitudes at different frequencies and plotting them on a graph. The resulting curve should show a deep notch at the specified center frequency, demonstrating the filter's ability to attenuate that particular frequency.

4. What are the factors that affect the frequency response of a notch filter?

The frequency response of a notch filter can be affected by several factors, such as the quality of the components used, the type of circuit design, and the external environment. Changes in temperature, humidity, and electromagnetic interference can also impact the filter's performance.

5. How can the frequency response of a notch filter be improved?

The frequency response of a notch filter can be improved by using high-quality components, optimizing the circuit design, and shielding the filter from external interference. Additionally, choosing a narrower bandwidth for the notch can also improve the filter's performance.